Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Three problems with V21
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjohnm

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2018 :  06:57:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1) I try to measure the size of a silk rectangle with the Measure tool. I click on two sides of the rectangle but on end of the line drawn by Measure jumps to a pad inside the rectangle.
2) Running connectivity check on the PCB gives 4 connections that need to be made between a pad and track. I run the forward design changes which claims to have made the connections. Running connectivity check gives the same errors! The relevant tracks do appear to be correctly connected to the pads.
3) Running Design Rule Check on a schematic gives a Coincident items Connection error where two track cross each other - they are not connected at that point (or anywhere else).

mJm

toni9999

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  13:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

3) if you click the line its referring to you will see it is actually made up of two segments. Delete it and re draw it and the error will go away.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  21:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2) the tracks are obviously not connected to the pads. Go into track edit mode and back the track off and then remake the connection as if you were creating a normal connection.

Note that forward design changes only apply to nets , it does not route tracks.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2018 :  21:39:40  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
3) coincident track in schematic only means two lines are crossing but no connection, it’s just an alert, it may be there should be a connection there or not.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  10:03:20  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Uncheck the snap to item box in the measure dialogue.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

mjohnm

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  17:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iain:
Thanks for the feedback.
1) Unchecking that box fixed the issue. I looked in the help file and don't understand what that check box actually does.
2) The tracks and pads are connected. Dragging the pad drags the track with it. Unrouting and reconnecting (and the "bong" shows it connects) does not fix the issue.
3) Yes, one segment was in two pieces and the junction of the two pieces was *close* to the crossing track. Why would an error/warning need to be thrown in this context. While it might be safe to ignore the warning, I did not know that and I wasted a lot of time trying to work out what the error was about.
Any news on another bug I reported? When generating drill files the Omit zeroes "None" option actually omits leading zeroes?

mJm
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2018 :  17:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2) The connectivity, integrity, and design rules checkers are very very good and I have never had any of them reporting errors that did not exist. Assuming you have display nets switched on, switch all layers off and you should see any unconnected nets.
On the drill files, can’t help you except to say does it matter, normally your PCB manufacturer would accept and alter in necessary.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

mjohnm

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2018 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iain Wilkie

2) The connectivity, integrity, and design rules checkers are very very good and I have never had any of them reporting errors that did not exist. Assuming you have display nets switched on, switch all layers off and you should see any unconnected nets.
On the drill files, can’t help you except to say does it matter, normally your PCB manufacturer would accept and alter in necessary.

Iain

2) turned all layers off - no unconnected nets shown. I spent a lot if time trying different things but in the end I gave up and sent the board out for manufacture despite the false error. Result seems OK.
I check my files with GerberView and it gives wildly wrong drill positions. I can avoid the issue by dropping trailing zeroes. Also, maybe my manufacturer can deal with it. BUT the option to not drop any zeroes worked in earlier versions. It is blatantly a bug because the check box no longer functions as it used to. Sloppy. Still no patch.

mJm
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  14:33:58  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sometimes, I find that by clicking Tools=>Optimise Nets and/or refreshing the display (clicking then re-clicking say Dimensions layer) unseen Nets can re-appear.
Otherwise I do not have an issue with unconnected nets.

quote:
I check my files with GerberView and it gives wildly wrong drill positions

Are you sure you are seeing the actual drill positions and not the Drill Idents position in GerberView (or any other viewer)? These by default are offset from the actual hole position. Again, I have had no issues with this. I might also question whether Shareware GerberView is at fault when it appears to have not been updated in 12 years?

Edited by - edrees on 11 Feb 2018 16:57:59
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2018 :  18:05:20  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
2) turned all layers off - no unconnected nets shown. I spent a lot if time trying different things but in the end I gave up and sent the board out for manufacture despite the false error. Result seems OK.

One further though, I wonder if you have unused nets in your Design Tech file? O
In PCB editor, Settings =>Design Tech =>Nets. Then click "Delete Unused". Sometimes best to double check for remaining unused nets on each schematic too.

Furthermore, do you still get a connectivity net error when you run Design Rule Check with the Nets, =>Net completion box ticked?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: