PCB Layout
 Complex shapes for board layout
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gaztech46

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2023 :  12:57:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

I have a complex board shape I wish to draw as an outline for my project. However, Although I can "roughly" draw out the shape I need, I find that editing it to make it the right shape and dimensions a nightmare. I change the length of one line to get it the right length then find that the line I previously changed also changes as it's linked to the previous one. I am aware you can "fix" a shape but fix, fixes the WHOLE shape - not the previous line you have just edited. Is there a way to "fix" each LINE as you draw it?

My design requires a lot of angles in it so ideally I would like to generate a series of single lines each at the right length then piece them together to give me the shape. This would of course also mean that some lines would have to be rotated to the correct angle too in order to piece the shape together.

I can't see how the draw shape option can achieve this as once you draw the shape roughly you can't reliably edit it to get all the dimensions right. Am I missing something here?

I'd ideally like a way to "see" the measurement in mm each time I draw an individual line of the shape. I could then at least be in with a chance of getting the sizes right.

How are you guys getting around this? I've been using EasyPC for years but I've never come across this problem before as it's the first time I've needed a specific shape of board.

Can anyone help?

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2023 :  13:10:17  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you tried making up the outline with individual simpler shapes and then "Merging" the separate shapes?
Just thinking it might be easier the edit smaller sections of the overall shape and then merge them as one once satisfied all is ok.
Go to Top of Page

gaztech46

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2023 :  14:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
It's "possible" I guess to do something like that but again, it's not easy if the shape is complex. It might be the only sensible way to do it.

I've found a dirty workaround that sort-of works.

Draw out the shape roughly - try to get the number of sides the same as the shape and get as near as possible to the angles - this is the important bit! Then go to each line in turn, select it and right-click to get its properties. The pop up will tell you the length of the line. Go to the next line in the shape and move it to get the length correct for your previous line. This is a board outline so now go to ADD - Single line and put a single line at the end of the line you are measuring vertically (if your previous one was horizontal) at the measurement point. Now you have a fixed point where the first line you measured should go. If it moves now you will know about it easily. As the single line is on a different layer (probably in yellow) it stays there. Measure the next line and go round the shape as best you can getting all the line lengths for your shape to the correct length, each one having a single yellow line to indicate the correct measurement position. Eventually you'll get to the end and have the shape marked out and a load of single lines marking where each of the measurement points are.

This is where it's very important to get the angles right because once you draw the polygon you can't change the angles! I tried many times to get it right and without the correct angles for each segment it's virtually impossible. Once angles are set the segments can't be manipulated easily. It's ironic really - as drawing a complex polygon from "Add Board Shape" is so easy but if you don't get it right first time (which is impossible) it's a major feat to edit it.

Hey Number One - surely you can give us an easier way to edit these shapes. ???

I did eventually get the shape I wanted and at the right size but it took me approximately 2.5 hours! It must be easier than this!
Go to Top of Page

Kieran Jefferies

Ireland
10 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  10:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you could use your favourite cad package, draw your board outline and import it into EasyPC as a dxf. Then convert the imported drawing to a PCB outline. The importing dxf & converting to PCB outline only takes a minute or two
Go to Top of Page

gaztech46

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2023 :  09:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kieran Jefferies

Hi, you could use your favourite cad package, draw your board outline and import it into EasyPC as a dxf. Then convert the imported drawing to a PCB outline. The importing dxf & converting to PCB outline only takes a minute or two

Maybe that's the best way to do it. I'll give it a go anyway. I'm sure this won't be the first odd shape I have to deal with. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2023 :  10:02:19  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats the method I use all the time and it works fine.

Only thing to remember is to ensure the DXF does not contain "splines", EPC cannot handle these.

Iain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: