Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 3D model updates disappeared
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frevoredo

Canada
21 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  13:24:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently spent several hours creating 3D models for the components I created. When I viewed them in the 3D view they appeared correct with all the height information. Today I went back to view these models and found none of them exist any more and all the component heights returned back to the default height values. Where did they go? How do I recover them?

Hanspeter

14 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  15:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by frevoredo

I recently spent several hours creating 3D models for the components I created. When I viewed them in the 3D view they appeared correct with all the height information. Today I went back to view these models and found none of them exist any more and all the component heights returned back to the default height values. Where did they go? How do I recover them?

It's already three weeks and Easy-PC support have not
explained or offer a solution to recover your 3D components?

Look, WestDev has this to say on it's website.
If not yet seen it here is it!!

quote:

Easy-PC boasts unparalleled after sales service and support. With dedicated technical professionals on-hand to speak to you by phone, plus email support, this level of service sets the benchmark.

I guess you should whisper quietly in their dedicated technical professional ears, NOT here on this fora.

You read where one should paste a bitmap, on the silk screen
layer isn't that so?

But tell me, you would also want to stick it on copper as well
that's what common sense depicts.

Let me say it's still a hurdle in V16.

What's the use of support if I can't break my challenges with
Easy-PC on this forum for all to benefit from.

They rather want to milk the hell out of a COW before it's
fixed in V32.

Cheers,
Hanspeter Baer.
Go to Top of Page

Benno

Netherlands
79 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  16:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Hanspeter, you seem to be a happy EasyPC user ;).

I am not happy with V16 and the way new versions are growing, but support always has been good with EasyPC. Remember it is a low cost package, you can also invest in a multi thousand dollar software and probably have problems too.

@Frevoredo, just sent an email to support. My experience is they respond same working day most of the time.

Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  16:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this is of any help.

I use Vista and Windows 7 - i was using B2Spice and added models to the library.

When i went to use the library to add the new model to a schematic, it was missing.

The problem is that Vista and Windows 7 seems to copy the B2Spice database to your Users directory even though you opened them in the Program Files area.

The same thing for libraries in Easy-PC, i allowed the default location when installing - which was the Users area - so are you editing in another location.

Is it possible that the 3D models are in your User area - search on date or name of the file - and need to be copied to the relevant Program Files area ??? (or vice versa)

Regards,

Shadders.

Edited by - shadders on 07 Aug 2012 16:53:01
Go to Top of Page

davep

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  20:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a regular 'upgrade' problem. New library files will overwrite previous ones. If you create new symbols put them in your own differently named library.
I copy the library files to a special folder (in a work area that I backup regularly). My own homemade library is also in that area.
I do not use Number One Systems libraries, I copy symbols to my own library and rename them with drawing numbers and issues.
The only problem I have is that at upgrade the software resets it's directory pointer back to the new downloaded folder and I have to change it (once a year) to my folder.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  21:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your bang on Dave, I do exactly the same. You have to be very careful what you overwrite and the location of where you think all your bits and pieces are. No different from any other similar type package.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Hanspeter

14 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  09:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benno

Wow Hanspeter, you seem to be a happy EasyPC user ;).

.....No comment.
quote:

Remember it is a low cost package, you can also invest in a multi thousand dollar software and probably have problems too.

Do you really believe low cost is responsible for all the
issues posted on this fora?

Let me say this, since the advent of mobile telephony
ordinary users have grasped the notion,
'Must Deliver what it says on the Can.'
You don't expect users to baby-sit firmware driving
mobile phone hardware!

When you see this nagging issues you wonder if some
one is sleeping on the job.
quote:

@Frevoredo, just sent an email to support. My experience is they respond same working day most of the time.

Are you implying, if I call support and say I want to place
a bitmap image on copper layer, I will be told exactly
what 'undocumented' steps are required to achieve this.

Many thanks.
Hanspeter Baer.
Go to Top of Page

Benno

Netherlands
79 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  12:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are you implying, if I call support and say I want to place
a bitmap image on copper layer, I will be told exactly
what 'undocumented' steps are required to achieve this.

Not sure in this specific case. I don't know if it is a feature that should work.

But in general my experience is Numberone responds very fast to problems when I email them. They have helped me before getting things done I could not get done without help. As usual it is often a combination of doing the right steps in the right order.

Don't know if you can call that an error in the software, an error in documentation or simply an error I made. But I was happy with the help and could continue my work.

Probably numberone will never succeed in making evey user happy, that's simply impossible. Bit it remains a very cheap software, where you can upgrade a licence for just about 90 euro's even if you skipped a previous update. Also new users can get a licence at a very affordable price.

My only hope is they open up EasyPC, so it is easier to interact with other software (a bit like Eagle with it's ULP or some of the big packages with their scripting). And we should be able to open designspark designs and lib's.

Go to Top of Page

hodali

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  13:23:45  Show Profile  Visit hodali's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be nice if number one systems changes the file format of PCB and schematic. Eagle uses XML file format since version 6. It allows the users to write their own tools without breach the licence conditions. Eagle is not more expensive than Easy-PC.

Edited by - hodali on 08 Aug 2012 13:30:48
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  15:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:

mobile phone hardware!

Seems thats what we do ..... I think my Blackberry firmware updates on a weekly basis to clear out bugs. Just about every bit of software is going to be buggy. I too hav found support from Number One excellent. I use an accounts package called Quickbooks and its as buggy as hell, however although Intuit who make it claim to offer support I have never had any of the bugs I have reported fixed !. Also look at EasyPc's big sister Pulsonix ... mega expensive and you need to buy support.
No, for a package with this power and support at the cost we pay its fantastic value.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Hanspeter

14 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  15:50:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Benno,

quote:
Originally posted by Benno

[quote]
My only hope is they open up EasyPC, so it is easier to interact with other software (a bit like Eagle with it's ULP or some of the big packages with their scripting). And we should be able to open designspark designs and lib's.

Yessss... an interface, a very important feature so we don't
pull our thin hair out!!

We can plug EasyPC artwork files to other software tools
or our own in-house tools.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be using EasyPC even if WestDev
didn't by-out Number One Systems.

We seen version after version with little wish-list from this
fora incorporated.

Negate the impression that some wish-list recommendation
are captured, it's only there because of WestDev version
road map business model.

Before the dawn of Number One Systems, I did my pcb artwork
on the Sinclair Spectrum+, then later Microsoft paint, despite
PCB schematics in EasyPC I still use Microsoft paint
for my schematics, I find it fast and convenient due to
components in my toolbox.

This day in age why will I pay for $12,345.99 for
PCB drafting software.

Will it lay Gold tracks on my FR4?

Cheers,
Hanspeter Baer.

Edited by - Hanspeter on 08 Aug 2012 15:58:44
Go to Top of Page

hodali

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2012 :  15:55:02  Show Profile  Visit hodali's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have to compare Easy-PC with other cad systems from other competitions. If you buy Easy-PC with all libraries it is not cheaper than Eagle (I did). Eagle is more powerful than Easy-PC and it is an open system. Eagle Users can extend the basic system and since version 6 they can program their own tools, as eagle saves the PCB as xml file. Number One system has to catch up, otherwise they will lose market share. By the way eagle is widely used. Why? Do you know the answer?

quote:
Originally posted by Iain Wilkie

quote:

mobile phone hardware!

Seems thats what we do ..... I think my Blackberry firmware updates on a weekly basis to clear out bugs. Just about every bit of software is going to be buggy. I too hav found support from Number One excellent. I use an accounts package called Quickbooks and its as buggy as hell, however although Intuit who make it claim to offer support I have never had any of the bugs I have reported fixed !. Also look at EasyPc's big sister Pulsonix ... mega expensive and you need to buy support.
No, for a package with this power and support at the cost we pay its fantastic value.

Iain

Edited by - hodali on 09 Aug 2012 09:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2012 :  16:27:15  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just reviewed this thread. It's true that the support staff are rather busy at present, so if you've got a specific bug it's better to email it in.

Looking at the date of your post, frevoredo, I have to ask if you saved the new models to a new custom .pkg library, or just added them to one of the standard ones. If it was a standard one, and you've upgraded to V16, there's a high probability that the .pkg library was overwritten with the default one, losing your work.

If it was a custom one, or if you've not upgraded, have you done a Windows search to check that the file exists?
Go to Top of Page

Hanspeter

14 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2012 :  10:07:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Johnson

I've just reviewed this thread. It's true that the support staff are rather busy at present, so if you've got a specific bug it's better to email it in.

Looking at the date of your post, frevoredo, I have to ask if you saved the new models to a new custom .pkg library, or just added them to one of the standard ones. If it was a standard one, and you've upgraded to V16, there's a high probability that the .pkg library was overwritten with the default one, losing your work.

If it was a custom one, or if you've not upgraded, have you done a Windows search to check that the file exists?

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I must congratulate you for your response to Frevoredo.

I believe this forum was setup so Easypc users and like
can share, help, educate each other and recommend improvements
to this CAD software.

This fora also relives very busy 'WestDev technical support' in
responding to each one-to-one email as per WestDev recommendation.

WastDev must encourage users to first post issues with EasyPC
on this forum so we novice, will benefit immensely from
solution provided by WestDev and all.

My experience with other fora is that, company technical staff
actively participate in support of user issues.

May I ask, when will WestDev post an official 'WISH LIST' Topic?
So we know EasyPC development road map.

Kind regards,
Hanspeter Baer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: