When trying to register the Microsoft Flexgrid control (MSFLXGRD.OCX), occasionally the registration attempt will fail with an obscure error message.
Sometimes this can be due to insufficient permissions to modify the necessary system registry settings, even when running as an Administrator with full permissions.
How to alter Registry permissions
Important: Changing your system Registry can adversely affect the operation or performance of your system, you should not change the registry unless you are sure you know what you are doing.
The procedure below describes one method for applying permissions to the Registry:
- Hold down the 'flag' key on your keyboard and press R.
- In the box on the 'Run' dialog, enter
and click OK.
- Go to the menu [Edit], then [Permissions].
- Select each relevant user in turn, then, Where allowed, enable all permissions in the lower pane. (Relevant users will be any pseudonym you are using, administrators, and 'Creator-Owner' if present.) There is no need to give permission for general users other than yourself.
- Click on [OK] and close the registry editor.
- Retry the aborted operation. The error should no longer appear.