When starting a PCB design you will need to decide how many layers the design should have. Sometimes the number of layers is pre-determined by outside factors, other times you will need to decide yourself. There is no easy answer to this but experience will help you decide.
If the board is very small and very dense with surface mounted devices, then more layers may be required.
If the board is large and not very dense, less layers can be used.
In general, the fewer layers you have, the cheaper the board will be to manufacture.
For any design, you can add or remove layers once it has been started, this is an easy process.
To do this you must edit the layers.
- Go to the Settings menu and Design Technology.
- From here, select the Layers tab.
- Use the Add button to display the Add Layers dialog.
- From here you can add all types of layers – Electrical, Non-electrical, Constructions and Documentation.
- To remove layers (providing they aren’t already used - you can't remove Used layers), select the layer then press the Delete button. If the layer has an X next to it, this indicates it is used.