All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Auto-Routing
 Pro Router and Trace Router Ignore Design Rules

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
uslimey Posted - 15 Jun 2016 : 19:59:49
So I am running V19.04 with both the Pro and Trace Routers, and have a number of issues autorouting:
1. I have a cutout defined in the board - Both routers route through the cutout - they even place vias in the cutout.
2. I have one component which has 203 custom defined pins. The pins comprise of a small 20 thou vias which have been enlarged with a copper shape on the top layer only. Each shape is assigned to its respective pad. Despite this, the router creates tracks on the same layer as the shapes, that breach the shapes.

If I were to build the board the autorouter created it would be full of shorts and opens. I have no idea why the router would ignore basic design rules. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Regards,

Steve

--- Steve
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
uslimey Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 12:24:05
quote:
Originally posted by edrees

@uslimey

quote:

"however, if you add a board outline inside a board outline, it assumes the inner outline is a cutout... Strange behavior..."
quote:

May be strange at first, but why would anyone want to add a board outline within a board outline unless it was for a special reason? It's quite a logical method in my mind and works well.

The strange behavior I was commenting on was the fact that adding a cutout to a board using the 'Add/Cutout/Shape' tool is ignored by both routers, hence they route over the hole... It just seemed somewhat unintuitive that the solution would be to draw a second board outline inside the first using the 'Add/Board/Shape' tool...

--- Steve
edrees Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 09:23:08
@uslimey

quote:

"however, if you add a board outline inside a board outline, it assumes the inner outline is a cutout... Strange behavior..."
quote:

May be strange at first, but why would anyone want to add a board outline within a board outline unless it was for a special reason? It's quite a logical method in my mind and works well.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 09:10:37
Steve,

As commented in your other thread ..... route your board manually, can't stress this enough !

Iain
uslimey Posted - 18 Jul 2016 : 21:21:09
Hi Iain,

I have both the trace router and the prorouter... It turns out that if you add a a cutout to the board outline it is ignored by the router, however, if you add a board outline inside a board outline, it assumes the inner outline is a cutout... Strange behavior...

--- Steve
Iain Wilkie Posted - 15 Jun 2016 : 21:55:20
Is the "cut-out" defined as a board outline ?
Trace router is a very basic router, if you have pro router then use that if you must. There are a few settings in prorouter that may affect things, but also I think there may be things that can be set up in component and/or track properties that dictate how the autorouter interacts with them.

However I would advise you do not use an auto router at all. We have pro router but really don't use it at all. It's ok if you do all the power routing and high speed or critical routing manually and maybe get it to route the last few non critical signals, but other than that you would be asking for trouble letting it route a complete board.

Iain