All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Auto-Routing
 Pro Router Issues...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
uslimey Posted - 18 Jul 2016 : 22:00:51
I have a Prorouter 4 layer, unlimited pads license... I have a 2 board set I have been working on... Board 1 proved to be somewhat challenging, but once the pro router ran, it was really fast. That said, I thought the Trace router's results weren't bad... The quirk the prorouter had is that it would not accept the default layer span. I had defined the board stack as limited tracks on the top layer, X on layer 3, Y on layer 5, no tracks on 2 and 4, and Powerplane on the bottom... I really wanted power planes on a 2 and 4 but it would not route with it set like that... Anyway, with the settings I had it refused to use the dafault layer span, and specified that I add a layer span from top to 5, hence creating buried vias.

Fast forward to board 2... Board 2 has essentially the same design technology file. It is considerably more complex... That said, the Trace Router handles the design without issue. In contrast the Prorouter fails right out of the gate.... Here's the cryptic message:

Error (Line 48): Error adding track to net GND. Please contact your support office.

Net GND has net class GROUND... I asked the Prorouter to only route SIGNALS??? I tried asking it to route POWER nets only and it failed with the same error... I also tried asking it to route a selection of nets and it also failed...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--- Steve
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Iain Wilkie Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 12:31:57
Steve,

Ok ... understand. I have pro router but never really used iy and when I did I never had issues. Your best (and fastest) approach is to contact NumberOne directly.

Iain
uslimey Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 12:10:56
Thanks Iain...

I have been routing boards manually since the shareware version of easyPC circa 1990, and before that with tape and acetate... This is actually the first time I tried to use an autorouter... Why (a) because its all digital, (b) because its slow speed - i.e. no critical path lengths (c) because there are hundreds of connections (d) because I wanted a quick turnaround for a proof of concept... I did manually place all the components and manually routed all the critical paths... I use planes and/or copper pours for supplies... So all that is left is the uber tedious connection of hundreds of traces to a number 1.25 mm pitch connectors....

Anyway, the point is that the product --- the Prorouter --- should work and is failing with a cryptic error. The suggestion that I should manually route is not particularly constructive in terms of debugging the issue with the Autorouter.

--- Steve
Iain Wilkie Posted - 19 Jul 2016 : 09:07:35
I have said it before and I will say it now...... if you want a properly professionally routed board DO NOT USE A ROUTER !

The human brain is still far the best way to do this, when it comes to power distribution, balanced impedance, high speed tracking, decoupling etc etc, the router simply doesn't have a clue.

So take my advice and manually route your board.

Iain