All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Database version compatibility

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
greg.ewing Posted - 04 Feb 2018 : 21:37:15
Hi, I seem to have found that somewhere between V15 and V20 the database formats have changed and entries created in V20 dont work in V15 !
Bit of a problem if you work between different historical versions of designs. Have I missed some announcement? I need to do all part work in old version so I can see in all designs..
Anyone confirm this is how it is meant to be?
Thx for any comments.

GE
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DavidM Posted - 05 Feb 2018 : 12:13:06
The file format changes at every major release, and because components and symbols are essentially tiny designs they too will change format. Thus any library item written by one release of the application will not be accessible in any earlier release of software. This again is how it has always worked, but maybe the issue is that we haven't explicitly told people that this is the case.

David.
greg.ewing Posted - 05 Feb 2018 : 11:56:29
Hi Ed,
Yes quite familiar with the design data only being a one-way street, not backward compatible, but I've not seen a problem before with the database. I dont know if they even say when database structure changes so we know to consider this issue.
Its pretty common for people not to want to be forced to migrate designs up for very minor changes in case the software alters something critical in a volume production pcb.
What I'm seeing tells me we should enter new database components in the oldest version EasyPC you want to use, if you want components available across versions.
The old version could see the items and their names, but no graphical item or pins showed in the preview.
Greg

GE
edrees Posted - 05 Feb 2018 : 09:12:51
Hi Greg,
Easy PC designs have always been forward compatible, -but never backwards compatible.
Your V20 design could now use new features introduced since V15, hence the incompatibility.
If you have the latest version of EasyPC you can work with all old designs, so no real problem, unless you are reluctant to upgrade.

See also,-
/www.numberone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1203