All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Manufacturing Outputs
 paste layer problem

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mikekehrli Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 18:19:04
My paste layer includes all of my cutouts, vias and thru-hole pads. I'm sure there's a way to change this behavior but I haven't found it yet.

I can view the "paste layer" in the pcb editor, and it only shows the SMD pads as expected. But when I do the plot, the paste layer includes all thru holes. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but I don't know what it is.

Thanks.

mike@fuelsaver-mpg.com
www.fuelsaver-mpg.com
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Iain Wilkie Posted - 10 Apr 2018 : 09:22:23
I think Numberone should have these resist and paste layers there by default. So many users in the past un-aware of creating these and discover that once this is down it makes the whole layout experience more informative and easier to understand and alter when there are resist an paste alterations required.

Easier to delete them if not required than it is to create them.

Iain
mikekehrli Posted - 09 Apr 2018 : 17:52:19
Thank you. Yes, I did that. The defaults for those layers include both the undersized paste layer and oversized mask layer. Pretty cool.

mike@fuelsaver-mpg.com
www.fuelsaver-mpg.com
edrees Posted - 09 Apr 2018 : 10:19:48
I recommend that you add both Top & Bottom Solder Resist layers as well. These layers will also appear in your dockable Layers bar. Then you have complete control over all layers of your design and the PCB editor becomes truly WYSIWYG as long as you have made a good choice of colours for each layer.
Set the solder paste to be slightly undersized and the Solder resist slightly oversized. (Design Tech=>Layer Types=>Size).
mikekehrli Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 21:24:30
Ok. Yes, I guess that's it. I would prefer to be able to suppress that layer from the dockable bar, but hey, it's no biggie.

I've added those 2 layers to my default technology file, so I can get them for my new boards as I create them.

mike@fuelsaver-mpg.com
www.fuelsaver-mpg.com
edrees Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 14:46:15
Appears that you have now correctly added the Top & Bottom solder paste layers, --so why don't you want them to appear in the Layers dockable bar?

Having added these 2 layers to your design, it makes sense to have to add them to your plot list otherwise you're not going to get the appropriate plots outputted. The "Layers" tab in Plotting & Printing allows you to choose what layers are plotted as a "composite" plot.

Seems to me everything is working as intended.
mikekehrli Posted - 07 Apr 2018 : 18:56:52
I figured out how to make this work. But I don't think it's the correct way. I added the paste layers using:
1) Settings=>Design Tech=>Layers => Add

Now I have a top and bottom paste layer. Then in plot settings, I can use these layers for the plot. Prior to this it was using the top/bottom copper layer respectively so was outputting the same as the solder mask. Now it outputs correctly.

However, I would like to not have these 2 new paste layers show up in my dockable layer bar. Now, I have both of these layers there where they are not needed. Further, I have to add the layers to each drawing in order to get the paste mask output correct. So, while it's a workaround, I don't think its the correct solution.

mike@fuelsaver-mpg.com
www.fuelsaver-mpg.com