All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 New component no package or default ref list

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
davep Posted - 18 Aug 2018 : 15:00:00
Version 22.01 Win 7. Creating new component from scratch. Cct and Mech OK but component drop down lists for Package and Default reference are both empty. Program accepts new data and successfully creates component but does not show up these lists for next new component. Has some setting been created related to this or is this a bug? I have created several hundred parts previously and not had this problem.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
edrees Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 13:26:02
Hi Ian,
quote:
.....it may (now) work if you launch the app by double clicking .sch or .pcb files as usual.

Sadly this doesn't work for me!
Package.txt, & def_ref.txt files are not updated.
ianafh Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 13:16:05
So now that the files have been created, it may work if you launch the app by double clicking .sch or .pcb files as usual.

Peter in support got me to try the run as admin trick to work around a problem a while ago. I only needed to do it once.

Ian.
edrees Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 13:06:02
Thanks Ian.
Daft, but true,- it's hit the nail on the head!
Package.txt and def_ref.txt files now created in Program Files(86)\Number One\EasyPC and drop down menus now work (with one entry!)

I nearly always launch EasyPC by double clicking the EasyPC icon or a *.prj, *.pcb or *.sch file, -not good enough it appears!
ianafh Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 12:26:28
This may seem daft but have you tried running easypc in administrator mode?

I vaguely recall a similar problem that was fixed by running in administrator mode once. After that the problem went away.

Ian
edrees Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 12:20:34
quote:
..............so perhaps their absence is more an indication of the steady erosion/removal of write permissions with each new version of Windows!

Sorry David that 's unlikely to be the issue as I'm with the same operating system Win7/64 Pro for the last 6 years or so,.... and it used to work!

quote:
Depending on your Windows version you may find some files in a folder under here:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)

*.txt files not there either!

When time permits, I'll check an older pc to see if *.txt exist on that machine & advise.
DavidM Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 10:05:12
We don't pre-install those files with default values, the files would only exist if the software was able to write them, so perhaps their absence is more an indication of the steady erosion/removal of write permissions with each new version of Windows!

Depending on your Windows version you may find some files in a folder under here:
C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)
as this is where Windows would sometimes write files when applications tried to write to the real program files folder.

David.
edrees Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 09:42:53
Thanks for that info David.
These txt files do not exist on my system. Perhaps that's why the component drop down lists for Package and Default reference are both empty. I believe this has been the case pre V20, -it used to work once upon a time!
DavidM Posted - 21 Aug 2018 : 08:43:08
They are plain text files so they are certainly editable, although of course you do need to take care not to use any characters that are not allowed in the corresponding name fields because the application will simply read the file believing it to be valid.

The file for default references is "def_ref.txt", and for packages is "package.txt".

You may also find "LibFindText.txt" or "LibFindValues.txt" in your Documents folder if you have used the Find button on the Library or Add Component dialog.

David.
davep Posted - 20 Aug 2018 : 19:00:40
DavidM - are you able to tell me the file names and whether they can be read by notepad or some other standard software?
DavidM Posted - 20 Aug 2018 : 10:20:03
I suspect that since it has not been reported from the field, we here haven't noticed this issue either. It looks like the little files that are used to store those remembered values are written to the program folder, which of course on most systems is now a folder which cannot be written. Some editions of Windows did some sneaky stuff (virtual store) with redirecting where that is written, but it looks like we need to alter the application to put it somewhere more sensible in the first place. I have logged this on our system for attention.

David.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 18 Aug 2018 : 15:38:35
Have had this also on previous versions, never reported it as I found it a trivial matter to simply enter the data. Maybe someone has an answer to it !

Iain