All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Can't place symbols from my library

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 00:39:28
Hello. Beginner's question here:

I am using Easy-PC 1000 version 21.0.5 and have created some PCB symbols using 'Wizard...' in Library Manager. I have saved them in a new .psl library file that I have created.

I now just want to create a .pcb file directly (without a .sch)

When I come to Add.../Component on my board however, the new library name I created is not listed. Should I be using the wizard under the 'Components' tab instead, to create the p.c.b. only components? When I try this, the Wizard is asking for a package name but the drop down box is blank and I can't proceed.

I'm not clear on the difference between p.c.b. symbols and p.c.b. components for my application. Please could you assist? Thanks
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 19:45:14
OK, I think I've got it: Select all the items you want to group, right click and choose 'Group'. Check 'Tight' and 'PCB only'.
DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 18:48:51
"Group the two pads to the outline and everything will move together."

Yes! That would be perfect. At the risk of trying your patience, how do I group a silk screen box with a couple of pads, please? 'Group' in the user manual refers to a block of components on a schematic so I guess there is a different command?
edrees Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 18:08:04
1)
quote:
My op amp is AD420AN and TL071CP.

Edit the standard Demolib LM741 Component entry. In the pcb symbol editor change the existing pad style for the pads you wish to use then "Save As" the Component as a TL071 (8 pin DIL) or whatever. Use the same LM741 "template" and techniques to create a 24pin DIL. (Schematic & PCB symbols). Or upgrade to V22 and then use the new online component search feature and download the exact "Component" you require.

2) Your battery box (Component) can still have an outline shape (without any terminal pads if necessary) i.e. a psl entry and a cml entry) but, for simplicity, why not just draw a rectangle (e.g. in Silk Screen) where you want to place the battery box and add two free pads for the mounting screws? Group the two pads to the outline and everything will move together.

DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 17:15:17
The symbol + component library approach will give me a problem when I come to add something like a battery holder. This is just a plastic box that is screwed to the p.c.b.

The box has no electrical functionality but I want to allocate a space for it on the board and rotate it around to fit with my components.
DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 16:22:28
My op amp is AD420AN and TL071CP. (I realise the latter is in the standard Op Amps component library.)

I want to make their pad sizes oval 60x120 with a 40 thou hole size. So I think that I have to edit the existing DIP8 package and save it in my library (to keep it separate from the EasyPC standard packages).

I will have to create the AD420AN component.

My experience has been that 'most' components I use (including large diodes and 7/0.2 cable) fit comfortably in a 40 thou hole. I could use a 32 thou hole for op amps but that means an extra drill size.
edrees Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 16:01:26
What's wrong with the 8 pin DIL LM741 part in the Demolib library provided by Number One?
(apologies if that's a Component I created on my system).
DB17 Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 15:44:52
Thank you for your clarification. I'm working on trying to create a generic 8-pin DIP package (a single op amp) for the p.c.b. layout. My understanding now is that I have to map each pad in the package to the pin on an actual device. I will have a go and report back if I come unstuck. Apologies for needing some hand holding in this process.

Thanks for your support.
edrees Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 08:50:06
A "Component" normally consists of both (or at least one of) a pcb symbol
(psl Package) and a Schematic symbol (ssl Gate).
You add a "Component" to the Schematic or PCB editors, NOT a schematic or pcb symbol. (File=> Libraries=> Components=>"New Item").
You need to add your pcb symbol (at least psl) you've created to create a new Component (*.cml) suitable to be added to your pcb design.
Suggest you add some components from the Demolib to your design, then use "Edit Component in Library..." (select component then right click) to see how it all goes together.
It might be a good idea to read the (online) manuals too, - a lot has changes since the DOS days of EasyPC.
DavidM Posted - 24 Aug 2018 : 08:46:15
Even though you only want to work on the PCB side, you will still need to create components that reference your new PCB symbols, you can't add PCB symbols directly to a design. If you are not bothered about the Schematic end of things for now, you should look at creating a PCB-only component that references the corresponding PCB symbol.

David.