All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Pad with chamfer on one corner only?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Scazon Posted - 05 Jan 2019 : 14:07:38
The STM32F031GxU comes in a 20 pin UFQFN package. The corner pins are so close that a chamfer is needed on one corner only to achieve clearance. Chamfered pads cut off all 4 corners. I suppose I could overlay multiple pads to get the affect, but is there a direct way of achieving this shape?
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
AndyB Posted - 15 Jul 2019 : 18:22:42
This seems to be another limitation of easy pc.
This should be a an easy thing to do.
Shapes as pads.
Not just square ,rectangle and circle.

When using a copper pour you have no way of adding this work around pad to a net.

Scazon Posted - 18 Jan 2019 : 10:16:22
What I missed is the tick box Auto mask in the PCB shape properties . With this ticked, the mask is applied automatically and there's no need for a separate shape on the mask layer, or an explicit mask layer at all. It also applies the oversize specified in the technology file. It might help if the default state of this box were to be ticked, but thank you once again Peter Johnson.

I don't know why my approach of adding a custom mask layer led to strange results, but in my case I needn't have worried.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 22:27:35
Just looked at the V22 manual and it should work according to it.
I can try this tomorrow ..... however can you please let us know of Numberones response ?

Iain

EDIT ..... just tried this and it works .... but as explained above you only see the paste and resist ouputs correctly in the gerbers .... not in the PCB editor.

Iain
Scazon Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 18:39:43
Sadly it doesn't seem to. When I look at the Gerbers created, the mask only includes the pads, not the shapes. I've packed the design off to Peter to see if he can see what I'm doing wrong.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 15:29:43
When you create the copper "shape" for the pad you need to tick the "Auto Mask" box.
Note that the paste and the resist masks for this pad will not show correctly within the PCB editor you should find they as as expected in the plots.

Iain

EDIT .... it seems this has been fixed in V22
Plotting - Auto Mask
The ability to automatically create mask (solder resist/paste) for Copper Shapes attached and
associated to pads in PCB Symbols has been extended to work on user-created mask layers in the
PCB (layers which use a layer type which has a defined over or under-size). Any shape defined on a
copper layer as part of a symbol will now create an appropriate under or oversized shape on an automask layer. Previously, the Auto Mask facility was only available for pads-only plots generated at the
Plotting stage.

Scazon Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 12:12:32
A snag or two: the shape solder mask isn't coming out on the plot (V22.0.3) - help says it's supposed to be added automatically but it isn't. It appears on the design if I add a solder mask layer, but not in the plot. And in the design, the shape is a different size from that in the component editor.
Scazon Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 10:53:14
Thanks.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 06 Jan 2019 : 09:12:08
https://www.numberone.com/faq.aspx?KB020093