All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Serious lag with W10

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MikeMillen Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 09:25:03
I've not used EasyPC for a month or so (v21.0.3) The last time I used it (and for years up til then) it's run perfectly OK on my i5, 2.4GHz, 4GB, W10 Dell laptop.

I started a new design a few days ago and found I now have a serious lag when using the PCB side. Most move actions now take between 0.5s & 1s to action, instead of virtually instantly as before.

My suspicion is W10 updates have caused this... nothing else that I know of has changed.

Has anybody else noticed any slow-down with W10 in the past month or so?

Cheers,
Mike
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Peter Johnson Posted - 26 Nov 2019 : 11:37:56
The programming team have investigated a design which Iain supplied, and as a result have been able to make some optimisations to the display. Iain has confirmed that it works for him, so it will be included in the next release (V23.0.2) which is expected to be released later this week.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 26 Nov 2019 : 10:01:42
Looks like support have managed to fix this particular problem.

No doubt it will appear in the next update.

Iain
Iain Wilkie Posted - 24 Nov 2019 : 20:00:53
AndyB,

Spot on !!!!

Support are actually looking into this anyway but at least this fixes the problem and may give them a clue into fixing it !

Cheers

Iain
AndyB Posted - 24 Nov 2019 : 12:16:35
I mentioned this a while back.

The only way round it was to turn off grid.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 21 Nov 2019 : 08:53:47
Ok, I tried the same file on my old WIN7 Pro 64 PC and although you can see a very slight delay at the higher zoom levels it is perfectly workable. Nothing like the delay on the WIN10 PC or laptop !

Also since this I have done another fairly complex layout and the issue does not appear in that one !

Iain
Iain Wilkie Posted - 19 Nov 2019 : 21:21:48
Ed,

I will do when I get a chance ..... will be interesting ...

Iain
edrees Posted - 18 Nov 2019 : 22:19:59
Got to ask you Iain the obvious. What happens when you open this design on your old Win7 Pro64 machine?
Iain Wilkie Posted - 18 Nov 2019 : 21:55:03
Well well well !
I now am working on a design and getting serious screen lag problem. It seems to happen at the third zoom in level and higher. Affects the zoom speed, panning and starting new tracks or rotating components general editing.

It’s really annoying. This is on a brand new I7 processor 16G Dell running Windows 10 pro.
I tried the same file on my laptop running win10 home with exactly the same results !
At the moment only seems to affect one fairly simple design.

Number one cannot replicate at their end (sent them the file).

Anybody else seen this ?

Iain
Iain Wilkie Posted - 11 Sep 2019 : 18:49:42
I just got myself a brand new up to the minute WIN10 PRO machine.

So tried opening a BIG file (approx 1200 components)and yes its a bit laggy. So as I still have my old WIN7 PRO 64 bit machine sitting next to me I opened up the same file on it and can only report that is just as laggy on that machine, so I don't think WIN10 has anything to do with it.

I don't find the lag too bad but it is definitely not as smooth as when you open smaller designs.

Iain
Peter Johnson Posted - 10 Sep 2019 : 17:20:23
Quite often with large designs, this is just a case of the processor being tasked with more than it can handle in a timely manner. Apart from file size, the major contributor to this is the resources needed to label pads and track with relevant text. going to [Settings], [Preferences] and disabling this feature on the bottom left of the 'Display' tab (3 boxes) can give quite dramatic speed improvement.

If that's not enough, disabling online DRC (PCB Tracks tab) and the show clearances ([View], [Display], 'Settings and Highlights' tab) options can also improve matters, but usually not as dramatically.

There's a third cause which is worth checking, especially when a high resolution display is in use, as it's somewhat oddball. Open the properties of Epcwin.exe, the main executable, and look at the 'Compatibility' tab Near the bottom, click on [Change high DPI settings], then at the bottom check the box to [Override high DPI scaling behaviour]. Sometimes this makes a big difference!
ianafh Posted - 16 Feb 2018 : 10:18:54
Interesting.

I am working on a large design at the moment (~1500 components) and find graphics performance to be a real issue. I had not associated it with a windows update, just assumed that it was slow because of the size of the design.

Turning off all the fancy (but useful) stuff like net names in tracks and pads helps, but it is still slow.

I'm running a i7-7820X @3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, and GTX 1060 3GB graphics.

Cheers
Ian