All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Manufacturing Outputs
 Drill Ident setup

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
markpsu Posted - 12 Feb 2020 : 17:49:47
Hi all,

In the Drill Identification Drawing layer, the program automatically assigns a letter to each of the drill sizes to be exported. It seems to do this randomly. My question, should I be changing these letters to match some IPC drill size standard? I've never done this in 8 years of (occasional) board design work. I've always plotted them as whatever letters the program assigns and no issues. However, I'm wondering if it would be "more" correct to follow some sort of letter-to-drill size standard?

Any thoughts?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
toni9999 Posted - 17 Feb 2020 : 15:43:46
We use it as a check that the drill holes match a set list of approved drill sizes. This ensures you don't have some random number such as a 3.412mm hole.

In our case that would appear as a very large cross and therefore be corrected to a 3.4mm or 3.5mm drill depending on the requirement.

T
edrees Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 09:18:42
Your Plot Report.txt file assigns the actual drill size to the Dril Ident letters anyway, so your pcb manufacturer should go by that. I therefore doubt that there's a "IPC" standard of assigning Drill sizes, -but I'm not expert in that field.
markpsu Posted - 13 Feb 2020 : 19:19:16
Well, based on these reactions I think I'll try my best to leave this alone although the temptation to hit buttons remains.

I had the idea that someone at the board house may use the letter identification based on some IPC standard and my drill sizes would come in wrong. As you folks stated it's never happened before.
edrees Posted - 13 Feb 2020 : 09:29:59
Just looking at my last (very simple) pcb design and the Drill Ident letters are assigned alphabetically.

Perhaps have a look under Plotting & Printing=>Options=> Drill Ident Drawing =>Setup Sizes and Symbols => Start Text ?????.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 13 Feb 2020 : 08:29:15
Why bother ??

I've NEVER altered this in any way, had thousands of boards fabricated and never a drill mistake or query from any manufacturer.

The file will be a simple cross reference that the manufacturers drilling utility will understand.

Why complicate things ?

Iain