All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Manufacturing Outputs
 Missing routing hole

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DB17 Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 01:26:36
Hi

Have just received some boards back with a large routing hole missing (diameter 28.6mm).

The hole is showing as a yellow ring on a layer on my p.c.b. design. What check boxes did I fail to tick when I produced the output for manufacturing, please?

The boards are fine otherwise.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
DB17 Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 16:55:32
quote:
Originally posted by Iain Wilkie

quote:
Just to confirm, are you saying that Add > Board > Circle works but Add > Routing Area > Circle does not work (or is not the preferred method)?

A bit confusing I suppose but ADD Routing area is to do with routing tracks !!! nothing to do with the router tool .... thats where you've
gone wrong.

Iain

Ahhhh. Thanks, Iain! That does clear up my confusion.

Thanks for your help and have a great weekend.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 15:54:57
quote:
Just to confirm, are you saying that Add > Board > Circle works but Add > Routing Area > Circle does not work (or is not the preferred method)?

A bit confusing I suppose but ADD Routing area is to do with routing tracks !!! nothing to do with the router tool .... thats where you've
gone wrong.

Iain
edrees Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 13:32:40
quote:
ust to confirm, are you saying that Add > Board > Circle works but Add > Routing Area > Circle does not work (or is not the preferred method)?

quote:
I created the hole using Add > Routing Area > Circle. The circle is on my Dimensions layer.

The Circle shape you added was on "Dimensions" layer. You could convert the Shape style into a "Board" style (NOT Routing Area!).

Use the 3D viewer to confirm!
DB17 Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 13:18:06
DB17 Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 13:01:11
Thanks everyone.

I created the hole using Add > Routing Area > Circle. The circle is on my Dimensions layer.

Output > Plotting & Printing does not show Dimensions as a selectable layer.

(Good news though. I called the pcb manufacturer who said that they would add the hole manually if I returned the boards - at no charge. I will send them a hand-drawn sketch. Not sure if there is a place on the forum for recommending p.c.b. suppliers but, if so, I would like to add them!)

Looking at your replies, I should have added the hole as part of the board outline. Only the outside edge of the board is shown as a green outline in my design.

In my output, all of my layers had "[Board Outline] N" but the board came back the right size though! (The drill data output does include a file with a 25 thou drill size that seems to correspond to the square outline of the board.)
edrees Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 09:35:00
quote:
The hole is showing as a yellow ring on a layer on my p.c.b. design.

How did you create this?

As Iain says it's best to draw a circle in "Board Outline". This way you get a (cut-out circular) pcb within a pcb and you can verify the correct shape in the 3D viewer.
Iain Wilkie Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 08:58:01
Mike,

There is no need to spec the diameter of the routing bit. The cutting edge of the router will always follow the centre line of the board outline (regardless of how thick that has also been drawn)

Iain
Iain Wilkie Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 08:45:49
The hole should have "board" outline attribute .... either drawn as a board outline or as a cutout.

Iain

Mike Warren Posted - 14 Aug 2020 : 01:53:39
That's difficult to answer (at least for me) without more information.

What was the layer called and did it appear in the Gerbers?

I have never had a problem in the nearly 20 years I've been using EPC. This is what I do:

I always include a layer called Routing, make sure any routing paths are drawn at the thickness of the routing bit, usually 100thou or 50 thou and put text notes on the layer explaining that these are the routing paths for a 50thou (or 100thou) routing bit and also what I expect the final hole dimensions to be.

http://mike-warren.net