All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Turn off unwanted layer??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
rbuck Posted - 14 Dec 2020 : 23:05:32
Version 24.0.2

This is probably a dumb question but I can't figure out how to do it.

When I turn a layer off using the LHS toolbar button and then turn it back on, it always turns the Paste and Resist layers on. It does this for both the top and bottom layers. I don't want those layers on so I have to go to the docked Layer box and turn them off.

If I click the Design Technology icon and then the layers tab, they do not have an x in the box indicating the layers are used.

How do I keep those layers from showing up unless I turn them on in the Layer box?

Ray
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
edrees Posted - 16 Dec 2020 : 09:47:03
Ray.
It's not really necessary to add the Paste and Resist layers bqck into the pcb design. You could always use the "Pads Only" option in the Plotting dialogue to generate the Top/Bottom Paste and Resist Gerbers.

Personally, I usually prefer to keep all layers visible on the pcb editor (WYSIWYG) as I can add extra Resist clearances (for improved heat dissipation) around power transistors and add extra solder paste areas to "beef up" exposed copper (power) tracks. The extra click (if Layers bar is not "pinned") is not a problem to me.

All down to personal preferences and EasyPC allows the User to choose which methodology he (she) prefers in so many ways.
rbuck Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 19:07:06
edrees,

Using the Layers tab on RHS works but requires an extra click. You have to click the Layers tab and then click the layer you want to turn on or off. Clicking the Top and Bottom icons on the LHS only requires one click.

I never saw this behavior until V23. I hoped that V24 would correct the "apparent improvement" but it did not. When designing a board with parts on both sides of the board you are constantly turning the layers on and off. I can't think of a reason why you would ever want the resist and paste layers on during the design process.

I will follow your advice, delete the layers and turn them back on when I need to generate the Gerber files.

Thanks,
Ray
edrees Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 09:24:53
quote:
............they do not have an x in the box indicating the layers are used

Not quite! But nevertheless, as they do not have an x in the box, you haven't added any "special features" to your design using these layers, so for the meantime you could safely delete these layers in Settings=>Design Tech=>Layers. Then complete your design using the Top/Middle/Bottom icons on the left hand side, then re-introduce the Top & Bottom Paste and Resist layers before compiling the Gerbers.

Personally, I prefer to use the Layers Tab on the RHS for this, but everybody has their own preferred way of doing things.

ianafh Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 08:16:55
I use the layers tab on the right hand side of the screen. This allows layers to be turned on/off individually.

It is possible to setup layer toggle to toggle multiple layers with one shortcut key. See help on layer toggle.

Regards
Ian