All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Copper Pour Frame is Conductive

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JayDee Posted - 02 Mar 2021 : 13:51:04
Hi,
Recently upgraded to V24.
A have serveral copper pours in a design, around the edges I have copper shapes and tracks that cross the copper pour frame.
If this pour is left, during production a fine copper line is laid down around all of the pour area edge and casues shorts.

I used to just pour the copper and then delete the frame but this no longer seem to be an option, I get a warning but no option to leave the copper in place.

Any ideas on a work around for this ?
Thanks, J.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
edrees Posted - 03 Mar 2021 : 09:29:32
Possibly you had a (filled) copper shape as opposed to a copper pour area?
JayDee Posted - 03 Mar 2021 : 08:52:58
Hi,
Thanks guys, your answers certainly make sense. I dont know what was happening in previous designs as this issue happened in manufacture a couple of times but I'll move on from that.
I've reset the line width and I've done a test print and it looks fine, I'll run a check on the gerbers before production as well.
Thanks, John
Iain Wilkie Posted - 02 Mar 2021 : 14:28:47
If the lines you refer to are copper pour shapes then these will not appear in the gerbers.

Also you do not want to delete them as this would mean that if you wanted to make a mod to the layout you would need to re-construct them in order to remove and re-do a copper pour. Also as Peter says, do not make them invisible, you need to make sure you can “see” everything in the layout.

So just ignore these lines, they are purely pcb editor construction lines and will not cause shorts. If they did this would show up in the design rule checks anyway.

Iain
Peter Johnson Posted - 02 Mar 2021 : 14:02:10
It's a bad idea to set the line width to small values. This line width defines the minimum width of the pour so if it's really narrow, you'll get copper which will be lost during etching - not nice - and you'll obviously get unevenness and frsgmentation as a possibility on any really thin lines.
Peter Johnson Posted - 02 Mar 2021 : 13:58:59
Have you ever checked your plots to see if the line is present?
If you select the line and look at the status bar, I expect that you'll see that it's an area - in this case copper pour area. All areas, of whatever type, are strictly construction lines and cannot be output, either to plots or printing.

If it makes it less confusing, go to [View], [Display] and on the 'Layers and Layer Spans' tab find the relevant column, then double click on the boxes for each layer and choose a different colour so they stand out from the copper.
JayDee Posted - 02 Mar 2021 : 13:57:31
ah.. I just tried setting the frame width to 0. It looks OK when I printed the top and bottom copper layers.
Is this the correct solution? :) J.