All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Sharing Library Components - Watch Out !

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Iain Wilkie Posted - 29 Sep 2021 : 20:06:36
I'm sure you are all aware that project files, schematics and layouts are NOT backward compatible.
So you can't open a V25 layout in a V24 or less installation, and in a way that makes sense.

However please note that this applies to components too !

So if you have a component in say V25, you cannot share that with a colleague who is running a previous version, it will not allow you import the component.

This (too me) doesn't seem right especially when you consider that we can import components into EPC from 3rd party libraries so I'm kinda hoping Numberone might change this by at least allowing the import to take place (after a warning) as I'm sure 90% of the time it will probably import ok.

Iain
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Iain Wilkie Posted - 20 Jan 2022 : 09:41:05
I've always avoided multiple installations of the same program as I *think* there are some common files and locations used which just might *upset* something.
However I could be wrong !

Iain
lonewolf Posted - 19 Jan 2022 : 16:23:16
Thats why I have installs for V13 to V25. If I get asked to make a component for a customer using V14 or something, I can start in that version directly.

CID, MIET, MInstCT
Iain Wilkie Posted - 09 Jan 2022 : 16:47:27
You misunderstand ..... I was asked to create a component for a colleague who was using a previous version of EPC.
It was not for my own use but someone elses !

Iain
tmd_63 Posted - 09 Jan 2022 : 15:31:02
Hi Iain,
May I make a suggestion?
If you make an install of the oldest version in your company and create the part using that older system (library-v24 for example).
Then you can import the older parts into a newer library (library-v25) for your own use, or for the newer setups, that way the v25 will comvert your v24 for use in v25 but you have the older library available for older setups.
Regards
tmd63
Iain Wilkie Posted - 04 Jan 2022 : 10:16:53
I was trying to create a component in V25 for a colleague using V23. Obviously when I sent it to him (.elt) he couldn't import it !!

What I eventually ended up doing was re-installing V23 but in the Windows Sandbox so that it couldn't change any of my normal setups.
I then created the component whilst running V23 in the sandbox.

That worked absolutely fine !

With the Windows Sandbox you need to take care and not exit the sandbox before finishing ..... or you have to start from scratch !!

Iain
tmd_63 Posted - 03 Jan 2022 : 12:57:08
Hi Iain,
Yes, I know of only one CAD software that allows for saving to an older version and that is AutoCAD (you can save as the latest version or previous revisions with the lack of compatibility).
As such, I have maintained all previous installs from when I started using EasyPC, so I can open projects from version 13 in 13 etc. And only upgrade designs when they are needed in the later revisions.
A Upton
MInstCT
edrees Posted - 30 Sep 2021 : 09:36:11
Hi Iain, Number1 obviously want to protect their investment. Do you know of ANY other pcb CAD program that can import EasyPC source files (apart from Pulsonix and Designspark Pro which come from the same stable)?

Later versions of EasyPC could have new "embedded" features in all aspects of the Application and this could (but unlikely) include properties of library parts, but on the whole I strongly believe that its just an incentive to get Users to upgrade to the latest version (even if the new latest features are pretty pointless in some cases). To be honest, I think I'd do the same to ensure a revenue stream especially as there's no "die by" date for any given version of EasyPC.