Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 System running VERY slow (Library issue?)
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laurence Wilkins

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  22:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I am a rather infrequent user of Easy-PC, currently on V15 (yeah, yeah, I know....) But considering an upgrade for the benefit of a new project I've just stated working on.

But I've got a big problem, in that recently, the system speed has dropped remarkably. It's OK in general editing, etc., but as soon as I go to reference a component in the library, the system almost (not quite) hangs for over a minute. It's doing something, because the menu eventually returns, after a long "Scanning Libraries" message. GRR! It's (almost like) the system is very slowly searching through the libraries, which are mostly stock, but with maybe 100 custom components in there.

My PC is a Quad-core Something-or-other running at 2.5GHz (?) with a new SSD. The PC's about 5 years old, I suppose, but plenty fast enough in general use; fine with 4K videos, mega spreadsheets, etc. So I don't think I'm lacking in the Horsepower Dept.

I've had a look around for any indexing options, but find none. I'm sure I'm missing something, or have I got a corrupt library? Any ideas, folks?

nigle

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  22:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You definitely aren't short of horsepower, I have run EasyPc on far less powerful machines and not seen any problems at all with library speed. Could the delay be caused by Windows having a problem with one of the library folders? A non existent network drive, for instance? Windows 7 is particularly bad for spending ages trying to resolve network access problems before giving up (and when it does, the error will probably be reported to EasyPC and not the user, so you won't see it). File locking or permission problems can cause similar issues, does the user you are logged in as have the requisite permissions for ALL of the files and folders?

It isn't always worth upgrading each time an update comes out, especially for an infrequent user like yourself, but I think it is time you finally did!
Go to Top of Page

Laurence Wilkins

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2017 :  23:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Nigle, and thanks for your quick reply! I wasn't sure how active these forums were (especially at 11PM at night here in Blighty...).

Well, I can certainly see the folders and files OK in Win explorer. I can copy stuff about, without issue (I haven't actually moved anything, just checked that I could copy OK). Is Easy-PC searching the WHOLE disk (or even odd, intermittent USB disks) for other libraries? Is there a setting that I can switch off?

Oh! Now you've set me thinking, and I find this tab "Folders" in Library Manager.
It has one active Search Folder C:\Program Files(X86)\Number One Systems V10\Library (looks like I didn't move the library files from my very first version)

And below that 53 File (gosh!) from 74hc.cml to sd views_tmp.pkg with ssl files, psl files, cml files all in there.

Is all this to be expected?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: