Libraries and Components
 How do I create a Stencil?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BrianM

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  15:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

Just doing a new design and the boards is using a TDSON-8 package.

Datasheet shows "Copper", "Solder mask" & "Stencil Apertures".

How do you create a Stencil for a board

Re Brian

Edited by - BrianM on 20 Jun 2017 15:09:52

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  16:10:11  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, a top/bottom stencil layer is just another non-electrical layer that is set up in your Design Technology file. It's similar to the top/bottom layer solder resist, but is usually only applied to s/mount (non thru plated) pads. "Exclusions" can be applied just like other layers, and it can be specified as component pad size +/- under/oversized (usually undersized somewhat).

I normally add top and/or bottom stencil layers to my designs (and also top/bottom solder resist layers) and the solder paste can then be seen on the design editor. The stencil layer output is usually in Gerber Format.

Although lacking in blow by blow detail, I hope this helps you.
Go to Top of Page

BrianM

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  16:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply

So in the PCB component library do I draw the Stencil Apertures as a shape.

Easy PC is a bit annoying as you cant precisely alter the start and end points of lines / shapes. Is very difficult to create an accurate shape.

Its a shame that you cant use pads as unconnected shapes as they are so much easier to place.

Re B

Page 11 of this PDF http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-BSC014N04LSI-DS-v02_02-EN.pdf?fileId=db3a3043353fdc16013552fc8f274806 shows what I am trying to achieve

Edited by - BrianM on 20 Jun 2017 16:26:51
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  16:59:20  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Brian,

You raise a number of issues in your last post.

1) So in the PCB component library do I draw the Stencil Apertures as a shape.
Yes, this can be done and I believe there is a FAQ somewhere showing how this is done.

2) Easy PC is a bit annoying as you cant precisely alter the start and end points of lines / shapes. Is very difficult to create an accurate shape.
Yes you can specify absolute co-ordinates. Add Shape, then right click mouse => Type co-ordinates.

3) Its a shame that you cant use pads as unconnected shapes as they are so much easier to place.
Yes you can add copper shapes to form a complex pad from a standard pad shape. But the shapes must be assigned the same pad number otherwise you will get a pad-pad error.

Sorry, I do not have time to go into greater detail. The help/ information is out there on No.1 webpage, -but it takes a while to find it sometimes.

Go to Top of Page

BrianM

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2017 :  20:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, did not know about absolute co-ordinates.

I have added copper shapes and assigned them to a pin, what I was trying to say is that its a shame that you cant use PADS as shapes as they are a lot easier to control.

Once again thanks for your help.

Re B
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2017 :  09:14:42  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use pads to "construct" the shape and link them together if they are touching.
Your footprint is a bit more complex than normal. If your absolutely stuck I can construct it for you if you want. If so email me.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

AndyB

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2017 :  14:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BrianM, make the pcb pad using various pads .
When making a component link the pads to the schematic pin by adding pads in
the pin assignment tab

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: