Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Copper pour keep-outs
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  12:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to prevent my top-layer GND pour from going inside certain IC's. How do I specify a keep-out area? I've tried using a dummy copper pour outline and giving it a net-name of "0", but the GND pour just runs right over it. If I pre-pour the dummy areas, then GND pour, then clear the dummy areas, I'm still left with all sorts of remnants.

Thanks,
Carl

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  13:32:42  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carl

There is no real way of doing this in Easy-PC. Copper Pour areas on the same net are just going to run into other, the same way the pour will run over tracks on the same net. The only way you are going to get spaces left in your poured copper, is to add the keep-outs as filled shapes on that layer, pour the copper, then delete the shapes afterwards. But this means you won't then be able to re-pour later on if you need to make mods; you would instead need to define an extra 'dummy' layer to hold the keep-outs, then change their layer to the poured-shape layer only when pouring, and remember to swap them all back afterwards.

All in all, if you really do need to do this it sounds like you ought to consider taking a look at Easy-PCs grown-up 'sister' product called Pulsonix. This has a host of sophisticated features in handling of areas, pour templates, cutouts, and so on. Its more expensive than Easy-PC of course, but the investment might be worth it in terms of time-saving downstream.

I know this is a 'support' forum not a sales tool, but we do regularly get asked about features like this that are 'bread and butter' to Pulsonix so I think its worth letting people know about it. Take a look at http://pulsonix.com if you want to get some idea of what it can do.

regards
David

David Manns
Technical Support
Number One Systems
Go to Top of Page

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2007 :  15:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadn't thought about using a temporary layer, I'll give it a try. Pulsonix is a bit beyond my budget, and with V10 Easy-PC does practically everything I need, and does it well.

Thanks,
Carl
Go to Top of Page

Laurence Wilkins

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  07:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have an answer for you on copper pour "keep-outs".

If you create a TEXT box on the copper layer in question, but just comprising spaces (and lines of spaces if necessary), copper will then pour up to, but not into it. You have to juggle the number of spaces and lines, but it works for me!

You may need to switch off some of the design rule checks, if it thinks the text is overlapping vias, etc.

Regards

Laurence Wilkins
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  13:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just create the keep-out area with an un-filled "shape" outline on the particular
layer and give it a net name that is not used buy the normal design. The copper will now flow round the shape. The outline can be deleted after the pour, but be careful as if you want re-pour at any time, you would need to re-create the outline again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: