All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Board outline
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  07:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi folks,
This is likely the dumb question for this week.
When plotting gerbers, the board outline isn't automatically included.
I have to add it manually and then it comes up as Plot 1.
Is there a tickbox somewhere that I need to select to make this happen?

Thanks!

Gordon

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  08:32:40  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you select the plot on which you want Board to be included (on your Silk screen for example), then go to the Layers tab, there is a 'dummy' entry there for Board Outline. Set that to Yes, then go to the Settings tab and make sure the relevant Board Outline checkboxes are set too.

David.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  09:29:43  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
David, I've always puzzled why these settings (and some others) have to be "ANDED". It's caught me out on more than one occasion. I'm sure there must be a good reason for it!
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  09:56:30  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The main reason is probably the long history of the application with various situations where we've held onto legacy behaviour to try and avoid forcing people to change ways of working.

Generally we all get into the habit of doing things in a certain way, so even if that might seem a bit odd when you explain the method to someone else, it has become second nature for us so it isn't an issue.

The production of solder and paste masks is a case in point - when we added the ability to have specific layers for them with their own oversize definition, we did not strip out the method of generating them 'on the fly' at the plotting stage with pads-only plots.

Evolution not revolution!

David
Go to Top of Page

AdamW

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2020 :  21:37:46  Show Profile  Visit AdamW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to add a new layer and then only include the board outline on this?
I tried but it then does'nt show in the plot list?

I need the board on a .bdr file to convert over into another CAD System, for 3d rendering

I have been doing this, where after generating, i regenerate the top silk but only select the board outline, then rename the file manually.But can be a bit of a pain.

Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  08:25:04  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason that the plot is not auto-generated for a layer that only includes the board outline is that there is nothing that specifically exists on that layer. The board outline is treated as existing on all layers but effectively it looks just like an empty layer.

The best thing to do is to add the extra plot for your board outline output, then save the settings as a Plot Job file to use next time round.

David
Go to Top of Page

AdamW

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2020 :  11:43:21  Show Profile  Visit AdamW's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

Thanks for Clearing this up, i had not noticed i can add a plot manually when outputting. I will do as you suggested.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: