All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Backups ???
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2021 :  11:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Running V25 .... Although setup in the preferences, I don't seem to be generating backup files !!!

Anybody else ?

Iain

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2021 :  11:48:47  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
V25.0 Seems OK for me Iain for both Sch & PCB, but I'm still running Win7Pro/64.

(You do have to do a minimum amount of work before a backup is activated though :)).

I presume you are authorised by Windows to read/write access to the backup location?

BR. Ed

Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2021 :  20:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed,

Not sure why this is …. I’m using Win10 … the backup location is the project folder.
No backup files at all …. Not a showstopper for me at the moment … busy with other things but will look at it in more detail when I got a minute.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2021 :  10:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nope ... doesn't work for me !!

Now it could be my fault .... I tend to hit the SAVE button everytime I complete an incremental mod, that could be every 2-3 minutes, probably a lot less. However before V24 (I think), hitting save created a backup so at least you could go back and undo mods that had been saved.

This now seems to not be the case and removes the possibility of recovering back through previously SAVED modifications.

Or is it me ???

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2021 :  11:28:04  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Iain,

As a test, I just added a superfluous decoupling capacitor to an existing pcb design and hit SAVE and exited. There was no *.bak file created. Ditto with schematic editor.

So I think it has to do with Number One's algorithm for a "minimum amount of work" to make creating a backup "worthwhile". Something to take up with Peter perhaps as it appears that the algorithm is largely out of our control?

I suppose you can always to a SAVE AS to force a backup as a get-around?
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2021 :  12:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ed,

I'll send the link to this thread To Peter and see what he has to say.

Cheers

Iain
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2021 :  11:03:36  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had a look at mine, which is set using "min work time" of 60 seconds and "idle time" of 30. After doing a bit of random editing of my design file for over a minute, on saving the file I get the expected "BAK" file created in the Backups folder below my design file.

Thus as far as I can see, the program is working as we would expect.

Note that if you set the work time to zero it should ignore the "idle time" setting and do a backup whenever you save.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2021 :  15:04:57  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the explanation David,

I would have expected the auto-backup to work as you describe. However, I would have expected a manual User "SAVE" to overrule the autobackup system and create a backup,-regardless of autobackup settings i.e. not having to set the work time to zero.

Surely both auto-backup (timed work & idle time) and manual SAVE can co-exist?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: