Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Net connections small extra line
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2022 :  13:35:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I get the small yellow line that shows a net connection between 2 points in a net. I believe these are supposed to alert you when a net is unconnected. However, I often get these yellow lines even after the net is connected. I can highlight the net and confirm a complete net & the yellow line will highlight as well.

Are these just sort of a ghost line from the previous unconnected state? I sometimes delete these since I can see the net is connected but thought I'd check to make sure they don't serve some purpose?

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2022 :  14:07:28  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quite possibly, "ghost" elastic bands.
Try doing a Tools=> Optimise Nets and they should go away.
Go to Top of Page

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2022 :  16:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that does make them go away but I tend to stay away from any tool that might "optimize" my traces. I will just assume they are ghost lines and ignore/delete, just wanted a 2nd opinion thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kieran Jefferies

Ireland
10 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2022 :  10:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'Optimise Nets' function is really a 'Refresh Nets' function. I've never seen it adjust / modify routed traces. I use it purely for removing those yellow ghost connections. I know with Orcad / Cadence, the 'Optimise' function will optimise / modify previously routed traces.

Edited by - Kieran Jefferies on 31 Mar 2022 10:18:37
Go to Top of Page

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2022 :  21:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK that is good to know, I didn't see my traces move when I tried it but still a concerning title for the feature.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2022 :  08:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Optimise Nets is basically a tidy-up or re-draw of the unrouted nets. It doesn't change anything else.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
489 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2022 :  17:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a forum moderator. The issue is that the algorithm that tidies up those yellow connection has to be always on in the background, so it can't afford to be too processor intensive. That's why if it's not a direct route, it often gets it wrong. Optimise nets is a once-off function so it can afford to do the job properly. That's why it's there - it just does a better job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: