Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 V26 3D view problem
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nigle

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2022 :  14:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just upgraded from V22 to V26 and some of my larger designs cause problems with 3D view. There is the usual delay while EasyPC sorts out the model generating but then EasyPC just exits without displaying any sort of error. If I delete chunks of the design then it will display, but after a bit of panning and zooming it bombs again.

I have 16G of RAM and Task Manager says usage doesn't go above 55% so that isn't the problem. Is anyone else seeing this?

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2022 :  11:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have V26 and tried this on a huge 8 layer 1000+ component design I did a while back. The program never got to the 3D display, I just got the "whirring" round busy cursor. I gave up after about 10 minutes.
Other smaller designs seem ok.

So it does sound like there is a bug here. You should inform numberone directly about this.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2022 :  14:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I suggest you open Task Manager and look at the resource monitor. Chances are that the CPU is being maxxed out. Easy-PC only uses a single CPU core and the graphics interface was state of the art when the program was written, but now it's showing its age so the CPU has to work very hard for a 3D view. That would explain the long generation time for a big design. If you leave it long enough, it will eventually get there.

On the other hand, the crashing out suggests that there's a problem in one of the 3D .pkg libraries. Because it works when some components are removed, chances are it's a model used by one of those. A bit of detective work is needed to try to identify the corruption.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2022 :  09:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Peter,

I tried again but after many tens of minutes I simply goy a Visual Studio Just-in -Time Debugger error (unhandled win 32 exception) and the program subsequently closes.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2022 :  11:59:10  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds as though the computer's just running out of some resource, possibly memory, and just giving up. Try again after deleting a good chunk of the design. It is probably just too big!
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2022 :  13:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,

I looked at task manager and just as it crashed it showed the CPU usage for the program as 13% and the memory usage as 1.4GB (42%). There is 16GB of ram on my PC (WIN11)
I stripped away about 3/4 of the design and after about 5 mins the 3D view comes up but crashes again when you zoom and pan. It seems memory-wise if you go over about 1GB the problems happen

Iain

Go to Top of Page

nigle

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2022 :  14:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am getting similar results on my desktop machine, but my puny laptop running V22 can display the 3D view fine despite having half the RAM, half the number of cores and an integrated into the processor GPU with no separate VRAM at all.

There is definitely an issue with V26 3D display.

Edited by - nigle on 18 Aug 2022 14:11:17
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2022 :  17:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have sent a problem file to Numberone to try.

Iain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: