All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Important changes to V12 libraries
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2008 :  13:47:18  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 12 has introduced a number of changes to the way libraries work, some of which have a high probability of impacting on custom libraries. Ideally you should now keep your custom libraries in a separate folder which has been placed at the top of the folder list in Library Manager. More details are in the FAQ "Library Issues in Version 12" which it is recommended you should read. This is the link to the FAQ page:

http://numberone.com/faq.asp?S=contents

One important point to note, the following standard libraries are now obsolete and should be deleted or moved to a separate folder (unless you have for some reason put your own items in these libs):
* AN3.cml
* Analogue.cml
* Bipolar1.cml
* Conn_std.cml
* Fet1.cml
* Fet2.cml
* Layan.cml
* Opamp1.cml
* Pulsar.cml
* Trnsistr.cml

olga

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2008 :  13:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FAQ states "In version 12 the standard libraries have been rationalised so that they are completely self-consistent without duplication."

However, I've run a report from the library manager & got a lot of duplicates among the standard libraries, mostly between IPC782 and Sm, Dsm, Qsm and between Connector & Discrete.

Whilst I'm sure that the parts are the same within these libraries, is there any good way of resolving these duplicates?

Also, I've created my own +5V, GND parts for the schematic and I don't really want to rename them, but I'm somewhat averse to messing with default libraries, just in case. What would you recommend?

Thanks!
Best wishes,
Olga.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2008 :  10:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The biggest problem here is that if V12 is a completely vanilla install, that statement is indeed true, but when it's installed over a previous version, any older libraries can muddy the water. The default libraries shipped with V12 have actually had a lot of work done to make sure that symbol names aren't duplicated, which usually meant assigning a new name to the symbol where there was a duplication, and ensuring the relevant components were changed as well.

Perhaps it's not so clear, but duplicate components wouldn't cause quite the same level of confusion, because as long as the symbols used by them were unique, the components used by default can be manipulated by moving the libraries. Having said that, I wasn't aware of any remaining duplicate names, so I'll check this one out.
Go to Top of Page

jmathew

India
17 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2008 :  18:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I want to upgrade Easy-Pc from V.11 to V.12, whether it will affect the existing libraries. I can not think about a wash out or re-naming since very complex symbols are either added to the existing or created with new folder.
Has any one upgraded ?

J.Mathew

Edited by - jmathew on 15 Sep 2008 19:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  10:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're worried about specific symbols, in the library manager use the 'Find' function to check whether there are duplicate names. If there are, decide which is used in the fewest components, open that in the symbol editor, and save using a unique name.

In each component using that symbol, open it in the component editor, right click on the affected symbol, and choose 'Properties'. It will open on either the 'Gate' tab, for schematic symbols, or the 'Package' tab for pcb. Choose the new name for the symbol, click apply, then close the window and save the component bach to the library.

When you have done this for all affected components, go back to the duplicate symbol in the library manager, and delete it, so there is no longer any ambiguity about symbol names.

You can do this in either V11 or V12, it doesn't matter.
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2008 :  11:46:51  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Further to Olga's point about still getting duplicates, this is indeed correct if you have supplementary libraries installed. The biggest culprit is the ProLibrary, which we are in the process of cleaning up as this was somehow missed in the pre-release checking for V12.

The updated libraries will be posted as soon as they are ready. After that, you should find no duplicates in the 'master' libraries, which should help you resolve duplication issues with your own library items.
Go to Top of Page

nurquhar

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  14:51:55  Show Profile  Visit nurquhar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dear Peter

It seems the tech support tel no is not working today because the message box is full ! Thus I am posting my message.

I am now quite confused what state my libraries are in after having installed V12 !

When I installed V12 over the top of V11 I choose to keep my existing libraries and did not re-install any of the paid for libraries I have from the V12 disc. I thought I already had the most upto date libraries as I have been installing any patches available from the support website since V7. The last library patch I have is 11_Update.lup downloaded on 28/01/06.

I have licenses for :
Pro-Library
Microprocessor Library
IPC Standard Surface Mount Library
The files all have various dates from 1998 -> 2006

Can you publish the version dates of each library file so I can workout which libraries need updating ?
I have not modified the original libraries, when I found bugs in them I copied parts to my own library before fixing.

After following the above advice and moving my custom part libraries to a higher priority folder I have found an issue with identical names in different files. I have a component in my custom library that uses the SOT23 pcb footprint. On V11 it used the SOT23 in SM.PSL, under V12 it is now using SOT23 from Demolib.PSL.

How can I now have confidence that components I had previously created using symbols and footprints from specific libraries will still be using them under V12 ?

Has the way the link works between components and symbols/footprints changed under V12 ? i.e. Did V11 have an absolute link to the specific library and gate/package name ? And does V12 now just search through the libraries to find the first symbol with the correct gate/package name. If this is so then different search orders could result in different designs when there are gates/packages with the same name in more than one library files.

Can you clarify the situation ?

Regards
Neil

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: