Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Annoyances
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  06:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I dbl-click on a prj, sch, or pcb file in Explorer, Easy-PC insists on opening ALL the files I recently had open, and often complains that it can't open 2 projects in the same window. How do I get it to open only the file I click on?

Also, when I edit a net name to join it to an existing net, the "Join Nets" box pops up, but with "Cancel" highlighted instead of "OK". Is there a way to get it to default to OK (the way it used to in previous versions)?

I'm running V13.

Thanks,
Carl

olga

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2009 :  12:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Geotech,

EPC opens all the files you had open when it was last closed. If you only want it to open the file you double-click on, you have to make sure you close all the files before you exit the program.

I think that the net name thing is to prevent accidental joining of nets, and therefore it defaults to fail-/safe/... Personally, I think I prefer it like that, but I can see your point.

HTH,
Best wishes,
Olga.
Go to Top of Page

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  22:38:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

EPC opens all the files you had open when it was last closed. If you only want it to open the file you double-click on, you have to make sure you close all the files before you exit the program.

That's the purpose of the "Recent Files" selection. It's very annoying to go open a project, and a previous project opens instead, and often the very project I want to open does not open up at all. I have to first delete all the unwanted views, then drag the wanted project into EPC. This is a really bad "feature" I curse every time I use EPC and I hope it goes away in V14.

quote:
I think that the net name thing is to prevent accidental joining of nets, and therefore it defaults to fail-/safe/... Personally, I think I prefer it like that, but I can see your point.

I think this is excessive baby-sitting. Mistakes are why we have an Undo feature.

Thanks,
Carl
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  11:20:37  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's a history to this one. MS require that if you double click on a file it should use an existing instance of the application if possible. Unfortunately, the default when opening Easy-PC is to load previously open files. What happens at the moment is that if one of these requires a project, and the double clicked file does as well, then the first instance of Easy-PC opens the default files, but a second one opens after the project error message with the correct file. It's logged that extra code is required to detect when the application's being opened from a double click so as to avoid this.

There's still the question as to whether it should remember the previous file set, or if it should treat the new instance as a default. I suspect that the second one will be the one used.
Go to Top of Page

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2009 :  16:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know of no other software (that I use) that attempts to open previously opened files. When I dbl-click an EPC file, that's the file I want to open. If I want to open other EPC files, then I'll go open them. I don't need EPC to do that for me, and its implementation has serious problems.

Thanks,
Carl
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2009 :  08:53:49  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We certainly understand your frustration, which is why it is logged on our system as a 'high' priority issue to be resolved, perhaps it didn't come across that way in earlier posts.
Go to Top of Page

exatech

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2009 :  20:30:09  Show Profile  Visit exatech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
older versions allowed me to have 2 or 3 projects open at the same time, in different instances of EPC. This allowed viewing older schematic diagrams and copying/pasting parts of them to the new design. Great improvement in versie 13: this is no longer possible. Talk about annoyances..... I want to go back to version 12, but version 12 cannot read my latest files.... Talk about annoyances.....
Go to Top of Page

remi

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2009 :  09:30:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is true that since the beginning version 13 looks like a beta
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The change to make opening of files from Explorer open in the existing application instance was done in response to a number of direct requests from users to make it work that way.

However, we acknowledge that this should probably have been implemented as an option to give users the choice of which way they wanted to work.

A new check box on the Preferences dialog will be added in the next patch (13.0.4) to allow you to decide whether files opened from the Explorer should be opened in the existing instance or a new one.

Also in this patch will be the fix for the problem mentioned earlier in this thread of it re-opening previously open files when all you have done is tried to open a different file from Explorer.
Go to Top of Page

exatech

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  12:08:37  Show Profile  Visit exatech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great, looking forward to those options. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: