General Issues
 Project Strategy for Multiple Boards
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  17:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have created a design which i originally was going to implement with a single board.

I have changed the approach and i am no thinking that i will implement a 3 board design, 1 Audio DAC board, and 2 power supply boards - digital and analogue.

What is the optimal approach using Easy-PC. Two distinct methods seem to be :

1. Create a single board in the PCB design tool, use connectors to establish the power pcb connections, which will remove the Net connections, and place the Audio DAC, and two power supply circuits on a single board. This can then be used to fabricate 3 boards from a single board.

Will the PCB manufacturer allow this ?. (the cutting of a PCB into the relevant 3 designs for me ?)

2. The second option is to create 3 projects/designs, and submit 3 PCB fabrication requests to the manufacturer. Allows more control for changes to each of the three designs

I am not too concerned about the cost, but more concerned about which approach is easiest to maintain and progress for the future.

Thanks.

Regards,

Richard.

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  18:09:14  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Go for three seperate boards .... don't over complicate things !

Iain
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  01:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Iain,

Thanks for that.

Regards,

Richard.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  11:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Both approaches have benefits.

As you can add 3 separate board outlines, the single approach allows for easier version control, and avoids any risk of duplicate component references across the project. On the downside, you need to maintain a sensible board separation for the manufacturer (which as it can vary, might involve moving boards if you switch).

The separate project approach is obviously more versatile, but it does force you to take responsibility for avoiding component reference duplication if that's relevant. It's also harder to compile a project wide parts list.
Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  09:44:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Peter,

Thanks.

I can always move from one approach to the other, and cut and paste the components as required. I am not too concerned about component name duplication, and the number of components for the power boards is minimal with respect to the main board. So will go the multiple project route. Thanks again.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by - shadders on 02 Feb 2010 09:45:14
Go to Top of Page

Benno

Netherlands
79 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2010 :  20:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It's also harder to compile a project wide parts list.

It depends how you look at it. Basically the project part list is just 3 lines, assy-1, assy-2 and assy-3 ;).

If Richard is capable of making his boards more or less generic, e.g. the powersupply boards going for a 3 project approach can be a big benefit. He only has to stock his generic boards for a lot of derived products (not sure if that is the case here though).

Go to Top of Page

shadders

United Kingdom
223 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2010 :  19:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Benno,

Thanks. I am still a novice in this area - so i have used the 3 projects approach. Any changes to one board can be easily controlled.

This is a personal project - Audio DAC - so not sure the boards are generic. Next project will be DSP based Audio DAC with my own programming of filters etc., so i think the design will change quite a bit. Thanks.

Regards,

Richard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: