All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Problem performing "Forward Design Changes."
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

siongboon

Singapore
55 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  16:12:35  Show Profile  Visit siongboon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have a problem performing "Forward Design Changes" on many occasion.
It always pops up a error message,

"The PCB design has renames that have not been back annotated to the schematic design.
Use Back Annotation option to apply these renames prior to running forward design change option."

I have draw the board outline and component placement, but did not attempt to rename any components on the PCB layout. It could be due to the PCB tech file, just a guess. If I perform back annotation, all the values in my schematic's component will be blank out. I have to key in all over again which is very time consuming. If I do a "Translate to PCB", all my layout position of the components will be lost. I will have to redo it again. All I need is only to forward some minor changes in my schematic capture, so to update the PCB.

Is there any method to forward the changes, and allow my PCB components position and board outline to remain as it is.

Thank you.

Best Regards
Siong Boon

www.siongboon.com

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  16:27:12  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What you should be able to do is go to the PCB and run Back Annotation, then click the button to delete the pending back annotation (rename) data. This will clear down the list of renames that is held by the PCB, after which you should find that FDC is happy to proceed.

You can also view a report of the pending back annotation data which might give you more idea of where it has come from.

David
Go to Top of Page

siongboon

Singapore
55 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  17:05:38  Show Profile  Visit siongboon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

Thank you.
After I delete the renames, I am able to do the "Forward Design Changes", without the error pops up, and asking me to do "Back Annotation".

One issue, after the "Forward Design Changes", all my components which were laid into position were all returned back to the component bin. Only the board outline remains on the PCB layout.

Why will the component return back to the component bin?
Is there any solution, so that the component can remains in their position.
The "Forward Design Changes" usually, do not affect the components on the PCB.

Looking forward to your advise.
Thank you.

Best Regards
Siong Boon

www.siongboon.com
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2014 :  18:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you did a translate to pcb instead of a forward design changes.

Iain

Go to Top of Page

siongboon

Singapore
55 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2014 :  01:24:07  Show Profile  Visit siongboon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ya. You remains me of "Translate to PCB".

I have just tried once more to double confirm.
After I click on the "Forward Design Changes",
there is this dialog box titled "Forward Design Changes" pop up.
It says,
Update PCB Design to bring into line with corresponding Schematic
[]Ignore Different Package []Use Component Bin

Both option were unchecked, then I click ok.
All my component went back into the Component Bin.

I think it is probably a bug.
Please help.

Thank you.

Best Regards
Siong Boon

www.siongboon.com
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  08:44:12  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From your description I cannot really see why it would be moving lots of components to the Bin when doing Forward Design Changes.

You may be able to get a bit more information if you look at the Report, that will often list things like "remove component XXX" and "add component YYY", which can often give you a better idea of how it is working.

But if you still cannot work it out, we will be happy to have a look at the problem if you send the full set of design files to us at support@numberone.com.

David.
Go to Top of Page

siongboon

Singapore
55 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2014 :  10:28:51  Show Profile  Visit siongboon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a report and the list is quite long.
The thing I did is only minor changes.
This problem has occurred before in a few of my drawing last year.
I did not bother to learn the problem at that time.

Now even a fresh software installation this same problem is still observed.
I have the time to resolve now.

If possible, please help to look into the reason why it back annotate my files, which deletes all my component's value and names.
I did not save the copy of project files for this problem.
This is the initial problem that I have been facing for the past few project.
Most of the time I did not notice the delete until the completion of the drawing. It was normally then I discovered that all my components do not have values, and I have to dig out my design again and re-key the value.
It was a pain keying in one by one, but I don't dare to try other means because my drawing has been completed.

I have sent in my project file to the email.
Looking forward to your help.

Best Regards
Siong Boon

www.siongboon.com
Go to Top of Page

siongboon

Singapore
55 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  03:41:05  Show Profile  Visit siongboon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

I manage to reproduce the problem file again.
When I edit some components in the schematic, then try to "Forward Design Changes". Instead, it prompt me to do Back Annotation. I did not touch the PCB layout file.

I have sent the project files for your evaluation.
Thanks for your help.

Siong Boon

Best Regards
Siong Boon

www.siongboon.com
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2014 :  11:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having carefully inspected the project files, I find that it is behaving exactly as described. However, the schematics and pcb files supplied are so badly mismatched that this behaviour is correct, and there is no fault. Details are being emailed privately, in the hope that this can be avoided in future.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: