Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 The infuriating 'Confirm add via' message
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tedgo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  13:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When manually routing a PCB track if one creates a corner which happens to be over a track on another layer this message dialog pops up. Its infuriating in that it invariable not needed, why would one want to join two different nets with a via. It breaks the whole flow of manual tracking.

The only way to stop it is switching off the other layer, but this then prevents finding a suitable spot to place a needed via.

Do away with it or allow us to turn it off, please.

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  05:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your comment. I agree, and it's now been logged for the programmers' attention.

Peter Johnson
Technical Support
Number One Systems
Go to Top of Page

mwill195

2 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2009 :  15:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I see this was logged back in January 2007!

Is there any chance it can be added to the next update? This is a really annoying message working on multilayer boards when adding corners.

Maybe you could add a checkbox to the message 'Do not ask me again'?

Thanks, Mark
Go to Top of Page

Geotech

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2009 :  22:45:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, this is a long-standing annoyance. How about when routing, add use of the e.g. Ctrl key when you want to via to another layer.

- Carl
Go to Top of Page

Tedgo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
God its still doing it, just upgraded to 14 from 10. Is their anyone out there listening.
Go to Top of Page

KevL

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  18:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
When manually routing a PCB track if one creates a corner which happens to be over a track on another layer this message dialog pops up. Its infuriating in that it invariable not needed, why would one want to join two different nets with a via. It breaks the whole flow of manual tracking.

The only way to stop it is switching off the other layer, but this then prevents finding a suitable spot to place a needed via.

Do away with it or allow us to turn it off, please.

I have thought of another way that this might be achieved and it requires only a tiny bit of programming work to improve the situation.

There is fine functionality built into the layers dockable bar.

One can select a layer or series of layers to be shown by putting a tick or ticks in the layer in the dockable toolbar. If one double clicks on the layer in the dockable bar then one can turn off all layers except the selected layer. I use this often. It works really well.

Add new functionality which involves the layer colours functionality and layer selectability functionality.
If when double clicking on a single layer in the dockable bar with (say) the ALT or CTRL key held down (as a process modifier) then if the system did the following then life would be better - it might even be good.

If the ALT clicked layer became the only active copper layer BUT all other copper layers are shown in a very dark colour - say dark grey then one would know where one could drop a via. The dark grey layers would simultaneously be made unselectable and so would only be there for reference. So we would have a nice bright single current tracking layer (for clarity) with a dark grey (say) underlying pattern showing all other copper layers. Because only 1 copper layer is actually properly active the monstrous and universally despised add via dialog might be silenced.

I suspect this could be achieved by using existing functionality (i.e. layer colours and layer selectable status. It would just need a little script to marshall the settings using the ALT click on layer in dockable layers dialog event and maybe a new colour option for setting the dark grey type colour for user preference).

Could call it layer shade mode or shadow mode or something similar. It would improve productivity no end.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Kev

Edited by - KevL on 14 Aug 2010 01:30:44
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: