All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Solder mask keepouts

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
markpsu Posted - 27 Feb 2017 : 21:23:41
I always make separate top and bottom mask layers and have been able to make adjustments using the settings when needed. However, I need to make custom mask keep-out areas and I can't seem to figure it out. I thought I could make a shape and designate it as a keep-out like you would a copper-pour keep-out but with no luck. I basically have solid mask areas and just want to have rectangular areas without mask within the design (no via or pad there). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mark
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Iain Wilkie Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 20:53:25
Mark, you could import the resist gerber into a gerber editor and invert it and export.

A bit confused though, I'm assuming your working on gerbers and not actual EasyPc design files ?
Iain
markpsu Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 17:34:51
Ok, I understand what everyone is saying, the issue was that I'm modifying a lot of designs that were done in the opposite way (mask on Gerbers - shows actual material) and it would have been easier to leave it that way. However, I have given in and I'm in the processing of re-doing all of the mask layers. Thanks for bringing me back into the fold.
John Baraclough Posted - 02 Mar 2017 : 09:31:08
You can also put text and graphics on the mask layer. It's useful for making panels like these:

http://mydesk.myzen.co.uk/_Useful/BlueCom/BeltpackFront2.jpg
http://mydesk.myzen.co.uk/_Useful/BlueCom/BeltpackBack2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------
Birthdays are good for you: the more you have, the longer you live ... and I've had lots of them so I should know!
Iain Wilkie Posted - 01 Mar 2017 : 20:15:40
The gerber mask shows were there is no resist, I.e component pads, so as Davis says you simply place a filled shape on the resist layer and that are will be clear of resist. I use this all the time.

Iain
markpsu Posted - 01 Mar 2017 : 20:08:59
Dave,
I want to do the opposite where everything is covered in mask but I create windows where there is no mask. So the Gerber file will show wear mask is instead of where it isn't. It's less work on these designs to do it that way (at least at this point). Ideally I would create an unfilled shape and that would act as a keep out., but that's not working out for me.
DavidM Posted - 28 Feb 2017 : 08:32:29
Mark,

all you need to do is create filled shapes on your solder mask layer. Those will be plotted along with the relevant pads when you generate your resist plot, thus creating the desired windows in the resist.

David.