Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Solder mask keepouts
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2017 :  21:23:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always make separate top and bottom mask layers and have been able to make adjustments using the settings when needed. However, I need to make custom mask keep-out areas and I can't seem to figure it out. I thought I could make a shape and designate it as a keep-out like you would a copper-pour keep-out but with no luck. I basically have solid mask areas and just want to have rectangular areas without mask within the design (no via or pad there). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mark

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2017 :  08:32:29  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark,

all you need to do is create filled shapes on your solder mask layer. Those will be plotted along with the relevant pads when you generate your resist plot, thus creating the desired windows in the resist.

David.
Go to Top of Page

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  20:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,
I want to do the opposite where everything is covered in mask but I create windows where there is no mask. So the Gerber file will show wear mask is instead of where it isn't. It's less work on these designs to do it that way (at least at this point). Ideally I would create an unfilled shape and that would act as a keep out., but that's not working out for me.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2017 :  20:15:40  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The gerber mask shows were there is no resist, I.e component pads, so as Davis says you simply place a filled shape on the resist layer and that are will be clear of resist. I use this all the time.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

John Baraclough

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  09:31:08  Show Profile  Visit John Baraclough's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can also put text and graphics on the mask layer. It's useful for making panels like these:

http://mydesk.myzen.co.uk/_Useful/BlueCom/BeltpackFront2.jpg
http://mydesk.myzen.co.uk/_Useful/BlueCom/BeltpackBack2.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------
Birthdays are good for you: the more you have, the longer you live ... and I've had lots of them so I should know!
Go to Top of Page

markpsu

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I understand what everyone is saying, the issue was that I'm modifying a lot of designs that were done in the opposite way (mask on Gerbers - shows actual material) and it would have been easier to leave it that way. However, I have given in and I'm in the processing of re-doing all of the mask layers. Thanks for bringing me back into the fold.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2017 :  20:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mark, you could import the resist gerber into a gerber editor and invert it and export.

A bit confused though, I'm assuming your working on gerbers and not actual EasyPc design files ?
Iain

Edited by - Iain Wilkie on 02 Mar 2017 21:06:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: