All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Power Plane Problem!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chris55000 Posted - 01 Feb 2023 : 14:33:04
Hi!

Can someone help me with this power-plane problem please?

I am attempting to make this replacement PCB for a Solartron Digital Voltmeter because the original is in too poor condition to repair.

It is a four-layer PCB with the internal layers used for +5V, which has the net designation "+5VE" (from the original circuit diagram) and "0VE" for the earthy plane 0V (again from the original circuit diagram).

When I click "Regenerate Power Plane" I get the power-planes covering the entire workspace instead of ending 0-3" inside the board edge!

What am I doing wrong here, and could I redesignate the power planes as "Copper Pour Areas", or aren't Copper Pour Areas meant to be used this way?

Would it make the PCB un-manufacturable if I tried to re-designate the Power Planes as Copper Pour Areas?

Screenshot here :-

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_MC4C6UdcNiL8QWYD_eCLNKDGGOg?e=x3OoeK

Chris Williams
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Chris55000 Posted - 01 Feb 2023 : 16:43:20
Hi!

I'll give that a try – it'll almost certainly solve the issue!

Chris Williams
edrees Posted - 01 Feb 2023 : 15:17:37
Don't use Power Planes, use normal (mixed signal) internal layers and then create a copper pour area for the internal power planes. Far less agro!

Edit. The pcb edge to flood area distance is determined in Design Tech =>Spacings Table regardless of Copper Pour or Power Plane useage.