PCB Layout
 Power Plane Problem!
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2023 :  14:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

Can someone help me with this power-plane problem please?

I am attempting to make this replacement PCB for a Solartron Digital Voltmeter because the original is in too poor condition to repair.

It is a four-layer PCB with the internal layers used for +5V, which has the net designation "+5VE" (from the original circuit diagram) and "0VE" for the earthy plane 0V (again from the original circuit diagram).

When I click "Regenerate Power Plane" I get the power-planes covering the entire workspace instead of ending 0-3" inside the board edge!

What am I doing wrong here, and could I redesignate the power planes as "Copper Pour Areas", or aren't Copper Pour Areas meant to be used this way?

Would it make the PCB un-manufacturable if I tried to re-designate the Power Planes as Copper Pour Areas?

Screenshot here :-

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Am_MC4C6UdcNiL8QWYD_eCLNKDGGOg?e=x3OoeK

Chris Williams

Edited by - Chris55000 on 01 Feb 2023 14:38:42

edrees

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2023 :  15:17:37  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't use Power Planes, use normal (mixed signal) internal layers and then create a copper pour area for the internal power planes. Far less agro!

Edit. The pcb edge to flood area distance is determined in Design Tech =>Spacings Table regardless of Copper Pour or Power Plane useage.

Edited by - edrees on 01 Feb 2023 16:05:27
Go to Top of Page

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2023 :  16:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I'll give that a try – it'll almost certainly solve the issue!

Chris Williams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: