Help For Easy-PC Users
 Schematics
 Off board components
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rbuck

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2018 :  04:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do users handle off board components? Suppose you have panel mounted switches, connectors, and LEDs.

I can create schematic only components and place them in the schematic. I can make connections to them although the connections are red which indicates something is not right. I know I can create pads for the off board components and label the pads in the schematic as to what they are.

But, is it possible to have the actual component be in the schematic? In other words, if I have an switch on the panel, is there a way to show the switch as connecting directly to the circuit points and have the pad be invisible? This is mainly for appearance purposes.

In the past, I have placed the switch in the schematic where the connections are shown. Then on the PCB, I place the pads and connect them to the actual circuit. I just ignore the integrity check warnings that tell me the connections to the switch are missing. Is this the only way to handle non-board components?

I am using version 21.0.3.

Thank you.

Scazon

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2018 :  20:47:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I simply create a PCB symbol with the requisite pads and an appropriate outline, plus any mounting holes required, and add it to the component as another package. For example, a pot on a flying lead is just 3 pads with a rectangle and POS, NEG and W or whatever names you want to appear to tell someone how to connect the wires. It's foresightful to put the pads on some appropriate spacing and the holes some appropriate size so that you have the alternative of a connector.
Go to Top of Page

rbuck

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2018 :  18:58:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul. That sound like a good way to do it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: