All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Running 4K monitors
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2018 :  15:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have any of you moved to 4K monitors to reduce the need to zoom in and out as much?
If so did you experience any problems or drawbacks with 4K?

Thanks!

jlawton

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2018 :  18:43:52  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, years ago, I wouldn't go back. I have Dell 30" 2560 x 1600 screens.
A drawback is you might still want two monitors so you can have separate screens for schematic & layout and you may need a bigger desk :)

John
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2018 :  09:05:55  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worth remembering though, running Easy-PC in "dual screen" mode doesn't actually require two monitors, it will arrange itself side-by-side on a single monitor if that is all there is, or indeed you can arrange them to do that on one screen even if you do have two. Perhaps it could more accurately be termed "dual instance" mode. We even know of people using six monitors, although how they avoid getting dizzy from scanning around so much screen space is beyond me!

David
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2018 :  09:47:48  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, but I've never seen the point in doing that, as my monitor is not super-wide.

John
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2018 :  10:10:34  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a dual monitor set up with an Asus Radeon Graphics Card. EasyPC normally launches into the Main (RHS) monitor, but I can then minimise this instance and then drag the left hand side of the minimised EasyPC instance over to the left hand side of the LHS monitor. Then, I maximise the height of the windows to fit both monitors. I can then arrange the schematics on the left hand monitor and the PCB on the right hand monitor without any of the pitfalls of using the EasyPC "Dual Screen" configuration. Works a treat.
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2018 :  10:53:30  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the feedback.

I found it was the graphics card causing aliasing issues, now with an nVidia Quadro 4000 installed I have a pin sharp display.
Dual screen setup works a treat, 4K screen seems to give me more of a benefit on schematics.
Can't imagine how I ever got by on a 17" iyama CRT all those years ago...
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  15:08:55  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You were lucky. In my day....

John
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  15:37:40  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hands up all those who can remember the original PC colour monitor at 320x200 with just 4 colours? I remember the fun and games we had getting a CAD program designed and built for that beast! I'm sure my bedside clock has better graphics than that!

David.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  16:14:02  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
320 x 200 AND 4 colours? Luxury!
In my days we had a scalpel and black sticky tape! CRTs were very largely monochrome & 24 bit colour resolution was inconceivable in those "good" old days when beer was less than 2 shillings (10 new pence) a pint!

Edited by - edrees on 13 Nov 2018 16:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  19:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes .... and the monitors were GREEN !!

Iain
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  19:13:42  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I recall correctly when Easy-PC was launched, it was on an Amstrad PC-1512 colour monitor.
I saw it at an exhibition many years ago..
Somewhat mistakenly at the time I went for another CAD system that had the advantage of linking schematic and layout using a netlist, but it ended up being inferior to EPC and if I dare call it that, the spin-off, Boardmaker.

John
Go to Top of Page

John Baraclough

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2018 :  22:51:29  Show Profile  Visit John Baraclough's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The first time I used Easy-PC it was the DOS version on two 5ΒΌ inch floppy discs, one for the program and one for the libraries. I think they were double density so would have been 720kB each! The screen was 640x480 which was amazing!

It must have been about 1988.

-------------------------------------------------------
Birthdays are good for you: the more you have, the longer you live ... and I've had lots of them so I should know!

Edited by - John Baraclough on 13 Nov 2018 22:52:22
Go to Top of Page

Ampdoctor

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2018 :  13:17:22  Show Profile  Visit Ampdoctor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, remember tape and donut with the blue gridded polyester film, everything made double size then photographically reduced.
It'd take an afternoon to move a few components around and reconnect all the traces. Something that might take a few minutes now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: