Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 EZPC or Pulsonix?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeteJG

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2019 :  11:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling this post might either get ignored or cause a riot! Anyway ..

I am in a peculiar (perhaps?) position of having to use both EZPC and Pulsonix at work! I've used EZ for years, have gotten used to its idiosyncrasies (as you do with any package) and having successfully produced a fair portfolio of boards with it. However, others where I work steadfastly use P and my line manager (who sits right next to me) recently also elected to get P on his machine for a new project, despite having seen the successes I've had with EZ. Half way through that project though, he asked me to take over the layout of one of the boards he was doing, and of course it wouldn't port into EZ so I had to get P on my machine too. Just to confuse things further, I was already doing a board for that project, in EZ!

So, my brief dalliance with P has shown me that it may have it's advantages, and I'm sure some (elsewhere) might have something to say about sticking with EZ, but the overly-high faff-factor of P leads me to still prefer EZ, even to the point of just having ordered my own copy for home use :-)

So, what does anyone/everyone else think?

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2019 :  11:19:46  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In many years of EZPC use, there isn't anything that I've come across that can't be done in EZPC, although I've had to find "work-arounds" occasionally. I'm sure that some of the additional features of Pulsonix (and other "high end" packages) MIGHT come in handy very occasionally, for me, EZPC ticks all the right boxes for ease of use, capability, value for money and Technical backup.
My only (minor) gripe is the lack of compatibility with DesignSpark (and Pulsonix) for which there is so much (free) 3rd part support.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2019 :  13:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I fully agree with Ed, there nothing that I have come across that cannot be done in EPC albeit you may need to use a few extra tricks and fiddle factors.

I did however delve into Pulsonix a while back but although it comes from exactly the same stable as EPC, the transition was not as smooth or as uncomplicated as I expected and indeed I decided to fall back completely to EPC which still remains my tool of choice 100%.
Also the fact you cannot import Pulsonix into EPC is a big negative for me. You can however import EPC into Pulsonix but even then I had serious enough issues in doing that, that it just reinforced my desire to stick with EPC.
Iain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: