Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Radial slot
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lstar337

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  15:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if it is possible to make a through plated radial slot?

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  15:17:28  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, -the manufacturing process is identical to plating a thru plated hole/via.
Go to Top of Page

lstar337

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  15:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I probably should have been more specific. I know it's possible to manufacture, I'm just not sure how to go about it in EasyPC, or if it's possible.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  15:59:59  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have to create/specify/define a pad (name) with a plated thru "slot" by specifying its shape (rectangular) and length by width in the Design Tech,=>Pad Styles.
Don't specify the corner radii too small as this could use a tiny diameter router bit.

Edited by - edrees on 18 Sep 2020 16:03:33
Go to Top of Page

lstar337

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  16:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would only create a straight slot. I need a radial (curved) slot.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  17:27:29  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depending on size, you might try to add the (Board Outline layer) radial slot shape within your pcb and tick the "Plated" option under "Properties" of the shape. Not tried it,- but should work. You will still need to "flood" some top and bottom copper alongside the slot for manufacturing processes.
Go to Top of Page

lstar337

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  09:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  09:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed .... I had a wee look at this but I couldn't find any way of connecting the board outline plating to a net !!
This would be needed to connect copper from the top to the bottom via the plating throu.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2020 :  10:01:56  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@ Iain

That's why I suggested adding copper flood shapes adjacent to the slot, the flood shapes can then be assigned to a net. The copper flood can be added afterwards if the Rules => "Board to Shapes" setting is 0.

As I stated I have not tried this and is only a suggestion, but I think it should work, - perhaps lstar337 can get it confirmed by Support?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: