Help For Easy-PC Users
 General Issues
 Changing an 2 layer PCB design to 4 layers
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anoracknophobia

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2021 :  12:57:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like a little advice on how to proceed with conversion of a design from 2 layers to 4 layers. Essentially the design consists of a number of RGB LEDs and their drive circuits, I wish to duplicate the drive circuit ( to increase and interleave the number of LEDs ). Currently all the SMD components are mounted on the TOP copper while the LEDs are THOUGH HOLE types. In the "new" design, the duplicated SMDs will be placed on BOTTOM copper ( after L-R flip ? ) ... therefore the two new internal layers of the 4 layer board become the equivalent of the current bottom copper layout. In the completed design all the LEDs (only 15 not 16 ) will also be through hole devices.

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2021 :  13:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just take your current layout and simply add two internal layers.
Then edit your design accordingly by copying your original bottom layer to the internal layers and your original top layer to the bottom layer after any mirroring required etc.

Iain

Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2021 :  15:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iain's correct, but there's an even sneakier way to do this. Before adding any new layers, edit the bottom copper layer by double clicking on the 'Bottom' box and changing it to 'Inner'. You can also double click on the layer name and change it to something like 'Top Inner'. Now you can add the other layers as 'Bottom Inner' and 'Bottom Copper' without a lot of extra editing. You can also change the default layer colours in the same way.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2021 :  15:22:28  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought there would be a "clever/sneaky" of achieving the layer swaps/additions and Peter beat me to it!

But what about the issue of swapping the topside SMD to bottomside? The existing topside SMD devices need to be flipped from top to bottom side SMD and tracks changed accordingly! I see no way of being sneaky here!
Go to Top of Page

anoracknophobia

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2021 :  15:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct... placing the "top" SMDs on the "new bottom" is where I'm currently at.
..and it's insteresting ... I have to shift stuff to avoid a few VIAs.
quote:
Originally posted by edrees

I thought there would be a "clever/sneaky" of achieving the layer swaps/additions and Peter beat me to it!

But what about the issue of swapping the topside SMD to bottomside? The existing topside SMD devices need to be flipped from top to bottom side SMD and tracks changed accordingly! I see no way of being sneaky here!

Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
106 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  11:06:31  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does this help?

https://www.numberone.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=243

John
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  16:50:17  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Even I don't know any sneaky tricks for this one, but there are a few things that can help.

One the 'PCB Interaction' tab under [Settings], [Preferences], in the 'Delete' section there's an option for 'Delete Track doesUnroute'. Enable this and deleting a track doesn't take out the whole lot. Instead just the selected bit of track is converted back to a connection. Another delete will take it out, but if you just do it for segment adjacent to the leds, you won't get vias when you flip them. Now you can tidy up the track (and layers, then when you're ready, double click on each connection, then right click and use [Auto Complete] to finish the job.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
488 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2021 :  16:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I forgot to mention - if forwarding changes is going to unroute a lot of tracks, unrouting a segment or segments on the end(s) of the affected track(s) stops the whole thing being unrouted - it just redirects the connections instead.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: