Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 Edge Connector for BRC panel – no solder mask?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2022 :  08:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I have a need to produce a replacement H.T. regulator panel for a vintage 1967 BRC2000 colour TV set, and it is connected into circuit with an edge connector that fits on the PCB direct – how do I make sure there is no solder–mask over the edge–connector contact fingers?

Chris Williams

Edited by - Chris55000 on 14 Apr 2022 08:07:59

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1010 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2022 :  09:39:30  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simply create a filled shape that covers the whole of the finger area and place that on the resist layer.

iain
Go to Top of Page

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  20:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

I'm afraid I've spent a few weeks trying to do this and I'm still stumped!

Can somebody help with a portion of a screenshot from Easy–PC highlighting the name of the layer and the dialog I should use please?

Chris Williams

Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2022 :  20:58:51  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Add top and bottom solder resist layers in Design Tech.
Then add a rectangular shape of solder resist over top and bottom pads as Iain explained above. (This is "negative" solder resist i.e. void of solder resist!).
You should then be able to see the area of solder resist you've added in the pcb editor.
Finally check Gerber files with a definitive Gerber viewer (www.https://gerber.ucamco.com/) to ensure all is as you expect.

Edited by - edrees on 28 Jun 2022 09:31:08
Go to Top of Page

Chris55000

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2022 :  19:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've got the idea now!

I measured the size of each edge–connector finger from a little piece of scrap PCB from the colour TV concerned, made this as a rectangular SMD pad, replicated this 16 times, add the pads with the sides chamfered at each end to form connections 1 and 18 of the edge connection, then group and duplicate these, change layer to "Bottom Resist" (the board is single –sided so a "top resist" layer isn't needed), then drop them exactly over the "bottom copper" edge–connector fingers – have I got this right?

Chris Williams
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2022 :  10:35:22  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not really, -but it's probably one (very
complicated) way of skinning the cat.
The edge connector should preferebly be one component but could be made up of 18 separate fingers.
All you have to do is add one large area of bottom solder resist which covers all 18 connector fingers. Job done!

Edited by - edrees on 03 Jul 2022 10:37:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: