All Forums
 Help For Easy-PC Users
 PCB Layout
 The grinding gridless grid
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacques

Belgium
17 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  14:40:36  Show Profile  Visit Jacques's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's my problem :
I usually use a 50 mils grid for placing components, at least most of them.
I draw my board outline then use the lower left hand corner of it as relative origin.
When I move a component it falls on the grid alright.
Most of the time I arrange a block of components outside of the board, an OpAmp with its resistors and decoupling capacitors for example, then I "frame select" it and move the whole block to a place inside the board limits.
Then the grind starts : all the components are off the grid and I have to move them again to force the grid placement. Boring, tedious and annoying.
What am I doing wrong ?

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it" ... I should remember this !

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  04:47:12  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the program being logical, but stupid. It's putting the geometric centre of your selection on the grid.
Fortunately there's an easy way round this. While you've still got the selection highlighted, click on the centre of a pad you know should be on the grid, then without releasing the mouse button, press any cursor key. The selection will jump to the nearest grid point in that direction.
In general, pressing a cursor key with the left mouse button down will move the selection one grid step.
Go to Top of Page

Rogers6775

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  20:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jacques,

I've had the same issue in schematic cut/paste and have been successful at getting things line up by turning on the visible grid and aligning things such that the end of a pin (or the terminal) was on the grid.

This ensures that everything else in the copied/ pasted/moved section lines up with the grid.

Regards

John
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: