Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 pad exceptions and technology files
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Andy_Macey

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  17:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I understand that you can add soldermask and solder paste apertures to component pads using the "add exception" function from the design technology menu.
If the exception rules are added at the pad creation stage in the library, will these be brought through to the pcb layout when the components are added to the layout?
Sorry if this appears to be a stupid question. I'm using an evaluation copy where the save function is disabled, so I can't try it for myself.
Also, am I correct in thinking that the technology files are in effect a library container for the various pad/vias?
Thanks for your patience

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  13:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, technology files can certainly be used that way, and it would be appropriate in this case. If the pad style were only saved with the symbol, it might still import into the design correctly, but that would depend on some of the settings.

Technology files are used to copy a set of initial settings into new designs, and are opened in the background to provide the same settings as a resource for symbols.

That means that if a pad style is added to a custom technology file, then if the same file is used for symbols and designs, the pad style will be available as a resource in both cases. Pad exceptions are preserved in this case anyway, but the technology file will also hold the extra layer types and layers in support of the exceptions as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: