Help For Easy-PC Users
 Libraries and Components
 Problem with Update Components
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tedgo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  10:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that there is a problem with updating components if one has created a user component with the same name as a library supplied component.

For instance I have a component called 74LS245 in my user.cml file. Up till now this has not presented a problem because the user.cml file has been in a different library folder to the default library folder.

However I now use a large second hard disc and find it a nuisance to keep swapping between the two library folders, particularly as they are on different drives. The obvious solution is to move my user library into the default library folder, or vice versa.

The downside is that if I select 'update components' Easypc losses sight that I want to bring in my updated 74LS245 in user.cml rather than the one in 74ls.cml.

The obvious solution is to give it a different name but it then loses the nicety of a generic name.

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  06:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're ahead of you on this one. In your library folder, you'll find a file called 'libnames.txt'. It will probably be zero length. Add just the header of your user libraries to it, one per line, without leaving blank lines. Save it, and Easy-PC will search the listed libraries first. For instance, Tom.cml, Dick.cml, and Harry.cml would be entered as:

Tom<Enter>
Dick<Enter>
Harry<Enter>

That's it. All the other libraries in the same folder are searched, but not until these have been done.

Peter Johnson
Technical Support
Number One Systems
Go to Top of Page

Tedgo

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2007 :  12:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, that works fine.

Can one put library names like user.psl in the libnames.txt file, I am thinking one could then substitute ones own PCB symbols, say with round pads, on those default library components which would otherwise have oval pads.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Johnson

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2007 :  05:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Peter Johnson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, this only works with component libraries. What you need to do to change this is to modify the footprint and save it to one of your own libraries, preferably with a different symbol name, then open the component in the editor. Highlight the footprint symbol, and select properties (right click, off the [View] menu, or <Alt+Enter>) then change the library and symbol used to the new one. Then save the modified component to one of your libraries. If you want to use both that and the original in the same design, you'll need to use a different name again.

The reason for changing the footprint name is that a design can only contain one symbol for each name, so if the names are the same, the one that got there first will take priority.

Peter Johnson
Technical Support
Number One Systems
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: