78 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  18:21:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't this due out soon?

Any hints as to what it might contain?

K

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2014 :  19:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently due out the end of this month.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

toni9999

United Kingdom
39 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  10:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is what i have been told as well
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  11:02:46  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
V18 has been issued today. If you start at the home page you will find information about the new features.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  11:15:01  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At last the promise of
1) a decent BOM feature and
2) the IPC356 netlister.

Still no import Bitmap feature for pcbs, and the "rest" will probably just give rise to even more unused features and deeply hidden switches in Preferences/Options to disable them.

Upgrade got to be worth it just for 1) & 2 ) only!
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2014 :  11:56:50  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BOM composer

So why does the Names (of Designators) appear in "random" order?

Even example in help file shows,-

R100, R78, R84, R96

R31, R27, R34, R71, R61-62, R58, R43-44, R39,R54 etc.

where's the "collate by ascending designator" field please?
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  13:12:12  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Couple of other V18 issues observations,-

1) Fill In Component shapes, - only 1 filled in shape will be filled in. I have a dual (common cathode) LED for example, and only 1 triangle is filled in.
2) Still no ability to edit (Add >Cutout") component silk screen in the pcb editor.

I'll upgrade!

Go to Top of Page

rvpilot

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  18:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
1) Fill In Component shapes, - only 1 filled in shape will be filled in. I have a dual (common cathode) LED for example, and only 1 triangle is filled in.

I get the same with IC's that I have put circles on input to represent inverted logic. The first closed shape gets filled and the rest in the symbol are not !

Suggestion : May have been easier to implement if the shape property, when checking 'filled', allowed you to select a fill colour or set to <global> to use the display setting colour. That would mean that each closed and filled shape in a symbol could have been fully customised and complex symbols would be a doddle.

Edited by - rvpilot on 24 Jul 2014 18:55:55
Go to Top of Page

rvpilot

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2014 :  20:30:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After playing with the BOM Composer, I find it a bit buggy with orderings in 'Append to Value' dialog not being stored and used, plus I now get an 'An error occurred during this operation' when trying to print the BOM.
Go to Top of Page

DavidM

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  08:26:53  Show Profile  Visit DavidM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are finding specific faults, then reporting them (with data and instructions) directly to our support mailbox will help us to help you. That way we can work together to remove any issues that have not shown up in our pre-release testing.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  09:01:56  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've copied and pasted the above issues and emailed them to Support.
How can such basic things get missed in "pre-release testing"?

Time would have been better spent on more "pre-release testing" than adding even more ways of doing the most simple of tasks, and other un-requested features.
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  09:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed, I am not biased in any way, but I do think you are a bit harsh. I have been at the programming side of things and can fully understand these problems. And I think the way Numberone handle these is second to none (if you report direct to them).

Just yesterday I had a conversation with a business that uses Solidworks and pay an annual fee of thousands of pounds. On one of their releases it was discovered there was a measurement fault (pretty basic requirement from that type of package), they reported this and asked when it would be put right, the answer, "difficult to say, we will put it on the to do list and it will be looked at sometime".
All developers will have these bugs in releases, it's how they tackle them from the customers point of view that counts.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  10:12:07  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, Iain, I disagree with your suggestion that I'm being harsh, -others may have their say in this matter on this Forum and I'm prepared to stand corrected. Every year we see this issue arise.

When you have added a feature such as the schematic component fill, surely it should have been tested on more than just a simple rectangular box? Or did the Tester not see the problem? An improved method of creating BOMs has been requested for many years and it's still not right, -my old "script" does a better job than the new BOM composer.

I agree that sometimes there can be "unexpected interaction" when something unrelated has been upgraded, and I can sympathize with the Developers when a million and one combinations have to be checked out to make sure everything is fine. I do write software too!

No1 Support is indeed first class, and EasyPC is exceptional for the money too-that's why I've upgraded.
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  13:52:35  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
V18 Component Fill

If you print a schematic PDF in colour, guess what? The boxes appear with no fill colour. Brilliant!

These are not bugs, -just sloppy programming.
How much "pre-testing" was done again?
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  17:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed, your going about this the wrong way. Email these problems direct to Numberone for immediate attention. The forum is more for helping each other out rather than reporting obvious bugs.
I found two problems in v18 this morning, both have now been addressed and fixed.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2014 :  18:19:24  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iain, -I did.

The Developers have acknowledged that "more work is essential" and are working on the problems.

V18 was released in haste, without adequate testing, end of.

Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2014 :  21:11:39  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed, you and I must have a pint sometime. This has the makings of a great pub debate

Cheers

Iain
Go to Top of Page

rvpilot

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2014 :  13:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have logged a number of bugs regarding v18, but I do agree with edrees, this is yet another release where obvious bugs are present in new features. I too am a firmware (embedded systems) and software (pc applications) programmer and there are ways of validating new features and changes which would have caught these before release. The coverage of testing that takes place is not nearly enough.

Do NumbeOneSystem put pre-releases out to existing 'power' users for beta testing prior to release ? I personally would quite happily run it for a month prior to formal release and thoroughly test all the new features if it would help reduce these negative comments EVERY time a new version is released !

PS Lovin' the net name labels in the PCB editor :-)

Edited by - rvpilot on 27 Jul 2014 13:48:28
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2014 :  17:10:47  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon, it would be reasonable to receive a free update for this service, or something like a 10% discount for every bug you find!

Seriously, unless No1 get their act together before they "release" major upgrades, they will loose business, so providing a discounted upgrade path as an incentive to Beta testers could be their best bet! Their in house developers certainly can't/ won't do the job properly, or possibly the powers to be (Financial) insisted that V18 must be released ASAP to generate cashflow.
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree additional Beta testing would be helpful and I'd be happy to be a tester.
If you are concerned over possible bugs anomalies then wait a while after a new release for them to be fixed. Possibly some individual users might have unstable Windows installations which doesn't help. FWIW I have found V17 to be pretty reliable.

John Lawton Electronics
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  12:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Surface Pro, back in Feb or March Microsoft issued a firmware update for this. It was so bad they had to pull it and re-instate the previous version as it reaped havoc !

So even Microsoft can't get it right !!

Iain
Go to Top of Page

edrees

United Kingdom
768 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  13:26:45  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iain, quoting Microsoft's performance is hardly a "standard" to judge other organisations upon. I believe it's because of Microsoft's poor performance that programmers have become so complacent,-

"If Microsoft can get away with it, -so can we".
"It compiles, -therefore it MUST be OK".

Apart from the usual EMC/CE approvals, on certain Projects I have to provide the Customer with a formal "Acceptance Testing Certification" that demonstrates that I have tested the Product against the Customer's product design requirements, and then finally provide a "Declaration of Conformity", i.e. it REALLY must do what it says on the tin before I get paid!
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  16:37:07  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ed,

My point is Microsofts resources are limitless compared to others.

I work differently .... the product is tested and verified as ok by the customer as part as the product development. Any changes, errors or omissions and taken on board as part of the development. The customer takes ultimate responsibility in signing off the project.
After that even if problems are found, these are accepted as part of the project and put right immediately.

Iain

Edited by - Iain Wilkie on 30 Jul 2014 09:20:44
Go to Top of Page

R.Redding

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  15:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still hoping that Panelling ( introduced in V15 ) can be made to work.

I still have the same errors in v16 and v17 as I have in v15 when I reported them.

But as Eagle is working fine...I can still wait.

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  16:20:41  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

Is it not easier just to get your PCB manufacturer to do the panelling for you ?

I have to admit I have never used it.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

jlawton

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  17:29:00  Show Profile  Visit jlawton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iain Wilkie

Rob,

Is it not easier just to get your PCB manufacturer to do the panelling for you ?

I have to admit I have never used it.

Iain

Neither have I, having always assumed the pcb manufacturer will have their own way of doing it. Even if you panellise yourself they may edit it unless you tell them not to.

John Lawton Electronics
Go to Top of Page

Mike Warren

Australia
121 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  21:11:51  Show Profile  Visit Mike Warren's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been asked to panelise a couple of times, but the main thing I use it for is small volume hand made projects and prototypes. We use a company that has 2 standard panel sizes with fixed prices no matter what is put on them, so I'll put several different prototypes on a panel.

http://mike-warren.net
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1011 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  22:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup, unless you go to folks like pcb train that share a panel to keep costs down, just ask your manufacturer how many boards you can have on a panel, the cost of the panel is the same .... So unless they charge for numbers of holes etc the cost is generally the same.

Iain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: