PCB Layout
 Snap/nudge issue with new v23/w10 installation
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveL

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've been working with EPC v23 since it was released on a Win7 machine with no issues. Unfortunately that machine decided to die at the height of lockdown/working at home. I now find myself with a fresh installation of v23 running under a fresh installation of Win10 and have observed a couple of problems in the PCB editor, one more serious than the other.

The main issue is that when nudging the cursor with the keyboard, it no longer snaps accurately to the selected snap grid. The degree of inaccuracy varies with the zoom level and is reflected in the co-ordinates displayed in the bottom corner.

This is particularly irritating since it makes it difficult to set a relative origin. I need to do this all the time and would usually nudge the cursor to the desired origin position using the keyboard arrows and then press "O". The only way to do it now is to set an inaccurate origin then drill through the menus and manually edit it to remove the small offset from the snap grid.

Interestingly, the problem goes away when you are Adding or moving (Place) a component or shape. Then, nudging with the keyboard moves the component/shape by the correct amount. There is still a slight anomaly when you are zoomed out a long way whereby not every press of a keyboard arrow key will move the selected part, and sometimes repeated nudges will cause the position to increment a few steps then loop back to the starting point rather than continue to increment.

Can anyone provide any insight or, better still, a solution? It's messing up a workflow that I've been very happy with for ages!

The other small issue that I have noticed is that the Preview pane in the Add Component dialogue box does not show anything for PCB-only components (apart from a reference name if the component has one visible).

Cheers,

SteveL

edrees

United Kingdom
766 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2020 :  10:48:44  Show Profile  Visit edrees's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I find the best method of setting both System and Relative origins is to first select the item/pad/shape/feature, then right click, then =>Origins, then selecting "Set System/Relative Origin at item".

The System Grid will then be centered on the System Origin with no offsets.

Nudging with cursor keys occasionally gives me some minor issues even on Win7/64 Pro. Have you tried nudging with cursor keys whilst the left mouse key is depressed?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: