Help For Easy-PC Users
 Auto-Routing
 Power tracks not necking, causes shorts
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveA

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2011 :  21:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to auto route a board which contains sm PIC i/cs. I need the power tracks to be 30 thou (or more).

When I use Pro-Router, it tracks to the power connection pads on the i/cs but does not neck down. This causes the power track to short circuit the adjacent i/c pads.

Unfortunately TraceRouter will not completely track the board. Although it will do most.

Is there a method of telling the auto routers to drop down the size of the tracks if it is a last termination of that particular spur to the size of a standard signal track width. The full width is not needed when it is a spur, it is only needed as the running bus.

If you have any tips, please let me know,

thanks
Steve

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  10:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I strongly advise you not to auto-route power connections. Normally what you would do is manually route all power and critical signals manually.
If you like then let an auto router complete the layout, but you would need to check the routes to make sure they are not taking a "walkabout".

We tend to route all boards completely manually as this is the only way to produce a truly professional layout and SI.

Iain
Go to Top of Page

SteveA

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  11:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Iain - I have seen that you advise manual routing in other posts in order to obtain a professional layout, which is understandable.

However, on this board there are no critical signal paths, etc, and so I would prefer to get the autorouter to do the whole job if possible. I've paid for it and so would like to use it.

To come back to my query; do you know of a method to get Pro Router to neck the tracks down from say 30t to 12t at the i/c pads, because, as it is, the package is not really useable.

Thanks
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Iain Wilkie

United Kingdom
1009 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2011 :  11:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Iain Wilkie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

I do not think you can do that ..... I think you would need to autoroute and then edit these spacing errors, or use a thinner track style and then do track fattening on that style.

As I said, never used the autorouter to do this so cannot really comment.

Iain
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: