Frequently Asked Questions
Why are my footprint pads not showing as surface mounted?
Sometimes you may find a footprint you have created is showing its pads as through-hole instead of surface-mount. To correct this, you need to go back to the PCB Footprint symbol in the Library and edit it.
- Selecting the offending footprint (component) in the design and right clicking.
- From the context menu, select Edit Symbol In Library.
- This will directly send the footprint into the symbol editor ready for editing.
- Select each pad or multiple-select the pads required (use the Ctrl key and select).
- From the context menu, select Properties.
- On the Pad page, at the bottom of the dialog is Layer: This will show as [All]. From the drop down list, change this to [Top].
- Press OK and the pads will now change colour to indicate they are on the Top side now.
To verify the pad is now surface mounted, select one of the pads and look at the status bar at the bottom of the working area. The Layer: will show [Top] as the side.